Sign in to follow this  
Yotafan

What gauge for trap?

Plan on getting into trap shooting with my dad this summer but we need to buy some shotguns first. I was thinking of getting a Remington 870 12ga 28inch but is a 12ga to much for trap. Also would it be a bad idea to get a pump action for trap. I figured for my first shotgun i would go a lil cheaper to see how much we actually get into it.

I also thought maybe doing some quail or pheasant hunting.

TIA

12ga and 20ga are the most popular for trap shooting, availability and cost is the same. If you are looking for 870's there are quite a few listed in the catalog just be aware of the intended purpose of the gun. Many times I have seen people shooting trap and not getting good results due to the wrong choke or a barrel intended for a different purpose.

12 Gauge is what I always used when I shot trap alot. My uncle who got my into it bought himself a cheap single shot to see if he liked it, which I then used to see if I liked it. The problem was that because it had so little mass it beat the hell out of you, even with the AA Extra Lights.

Speaking of which, not sure how much you shoot but If you're looking to try it out and have a lighter weight gun I'd recommend buying the Winchester Xtra light loads, or the even lighter "low recoil/low noise" shells (I beleive these are the lightest production shells you can buy) don't buy anything too heavy, once you put 100+ shells through it in an afternoon you'll feel like you've been clubbed with it, and that's not fun.

Good luck.