Lavid2002

THE OFFICIAL FID THREAD - How Long Did it Take?

I saw it in another post and it was also in Weehawken. Seems odd to me, they ask the questions they need to in questionarie form, and they verify ID at printing. Unless they think they can figure out I am mentally retarded or crazy at the interview, I dont see much or a purpose.

Well tomorrow would be the 4th week mark after I applied so we'll see if I get the letter in this week. I hope I do get it this week, but I'm skeptical. I didn't have an interview or anything like that. They took my money, my finger prints, my paper work and that was pretty much it. Though they did mess with me when it came to my references. They tried claiming the address on one didn't exist and the other was given the wrong zip code, both I called bull sh!t on and made them resend them. Sure enough my references got them and handed them to me so I knew they got mailed out. Both were dropped off in the mail box on monday morning so we'll see where it goes.

This was Woodbridge btw.

In my town I deal directly with the NJSP. Minor address correction (town name change) + 2 permits. 4 months. Filed 4/4, got the call 8/1.

No interview or anything required of me, but one of my references did play some serious phone tag with the investigating trooper. Fortunately, my reference is a gun owner too and was pretty accommodating.

It's been awhile so I can't say for sure to the day. But Franklin Township does stink.

It was over 3 months for my initial FID card and recently for pistol permits, from mid March to mid June.

And that's only because I call once a month, playing dumb, and ask if I have done my duty to provide them with all the necessary documentation as not to hold them up as I know they are busy and thanks for their time blah blah blah blah.

I've heard of people who don't follow up waiting for 6 months around here!

They also send a questionaire to the household so that everyone there knows you are applying for a permit. I believe that's illegal according to state law but as always, fight it and you "lose your privilege of being able to have firearms". :x

Welcome to NJ. You know the drill....

they verify ID at printing

That's standard practice. How else would you know the actual identity of who you were printing? We id'ed and they signed the cards before rolling. Now we use AFIS for some but roll most of the applicant cards.

I hit Day 30 on Monday. I called up my Police department (on Tuesday since Monday was a holiday) and they said it will be another three months before I get it. Hopefully I get it sooner.

I hit Day 30 on Monday. I called up my Police department (on Tuesday since Monday was a holiday) and they said it will be another three months before I get it. Hopefully I get it sooner.

Which town is that?

This is Plainfield.

Joe - did they tell you why it was going to be another 3 months?

No they did not. I have to call them back tomorrow to see if I can get the application amended anyway ( I made the mistake of only putting in for 1 purchase permit :p ) so I will ask then.

So I called the Police department and they were kind enough to amend my application for more purchase permits :). They said they tell people 3 months but normally it takes less time: 1 week for fingerprints to come back (already completed this), 30 days for the Mental Health form to come back, however long the references take to come back (my references sent in the questionnaire the following week I applied) and the background checks. They said after that my application goes to a detective for a local investigation, then on to the police captains who then look over it and from there it gets passed on to be signed.

So I called the Police department and they were kind enough to amend my application for more purchase permits :). They said they tell people 3 months but normally it takes less time: 1 week for fingerprints to come back (already completed this), 30 days for the Mental Health form to come back, however long the references take to come back (my references sent in the questionnaire the following week I applied) and the background checks. They said after that my application goes to a detective for a local investigation, then on to the police captains who then look over it and from there it gets passed on to be signed.

Seems like a lot of hands in the mix there.

Update: I called them again today and they said that one of my references had not sent in the reference questionaire (both of them sent it in within 5 days of them receiving it). The officer said that the lack of the second questionaire was the only holding up my FID and purchase permit application and they could not process anything further until they have it. I wish they had told me this back when I called the first and second times.

New permit holder from Woodbridge here.

I submitted the paperwork for my FID and 3 handgun permits on August 12, 2009 and received them on September 9, 2009.

28 days.

My 2 references both received their letters on August 14th (+2 days). They were both mailed back via certified mail on August 15th (+3 days) and were both received by Woodbridge Township on August 17th (+5 days).

I received a call from the woman who processes firearms permits on August 19th (+7 days) because she forgot to photocopy my driver's license when I submitted the paperwork. I went in that afternoon, and asked the clerk if this would delay processing and to confirm that they received the letters from my references. She told me that no, it would not delay things as it was their mistake and she had already started processing it.

The Chief of Police signed the paperwork on September 4th (+23 days), but I was not able to pick everything up until September 9th (+28 days), as they only process firearms permits on Wednesdays in Woodbridge and I needed to sign the 3 handgun permits in front of the woman that processes the permits.

Yes, I consider myself extremely lucky. I know people have waited much longer than this. I even read about a member here from Woodbridge who submitted the paperwork almost a month earlier than I did but did not receive the permit until the same time I had.

I had initially gone in on August 10th, 2009 (a Monday) to submit the paperwork, but was very rudely told that they only process firearms permits on Wednesdays. I thought, "Oh, great...this is going to be fun." But when I went back in that Wednesday, the woman who processes the firearms permits in Woodbridge (not the same person that was there on Monday) was extremely polite and professional. I of course was as polite as possible in return. Other than that initial hiccup when I went in the wrong day, the process was very smooth and painless. When the woman called a week later asking me to come in again so she can photocopy my driver's license, she was genuinely apologetic, and again, extremely polite and professional.