Downtownv

This is what persisitance gets you!

For 5 months I been writing to my Mayor.

THIS is what it takes instead of whining...

https://patch.com/new-jersey/lacey/lacey-politicians-reaffirm-support-second-amendment

AND WHAT ABOUT US????????

I urged you months ago to make a bold statement.
Downtownv

Mr Downtownv,

We will be voting on resolution 2020-128 which supports the 2nd amendment at our next meeting on Tuesday March 10.  The agenda packet is attached for your review

Thank you again for your feedback and your attention to this issue.  

Mayor Greg Myhre

Stafford Township

260 East Bay Avenue

Manahawkin, NJ 08050

1784_001.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Monmouth and Ocean freeholders support 2 resolutions backing gun owners’ rights 

Susanne Cervenka and Erik Larsen

Asbury Park Press USA TODAY NETWORK – NEW JERSEY

Freeholders in Monmouth and Ocean counties endorsed a pair of resolutions backing the rights of gun owners, amid stiff opposition from gun control advocates.

In Freehold, Monmouth County Freeholder Lillian G. Burry introduced the resolution, which declares Monmouth County a “Second Amendment Lawful Gun Owner County.”

The resolution states that the Monmouth County Board of Freeholders support the Second Amendment and oppose unconstitutional restrictions on citizens’ rights.

“When we take the oath of office, we say we will support the Constitution of United States. We will support the Constitution of New Jersey. This is very much the Constitution, which is in here,” Burry said.

The Monmouth County freeholders approved their version of the resolution Feb. 27, with a 4-0 vote. Freeholder Pat Impreveduto was absent.

A week earlier, in Toms River, the Ocean County Board of Freeholders adopted a similar resolution — with unanimous consent — that declared “its intent to uphold the Second Amendment rights of the citizens of the County of Ocean and oppose unconstitutional restrictions on the right to keep and bear arms under the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution.”

Jeffrey Pereira of Barnegat, who supported the measure, addressed the freeholder board and asked if there was more that freeholder boards could lawfully do to permit gun owners within their jurisdictions the right to carry firearms.

“I have a daughter, I have a wife,” Pereira said. “Things in this state are getting very bad. I mean, I’ve lived here my entire life — 45 years. We’re seeing crimes that we’ve really never, that I never grew up with, before. Sooner or later ... I need to be able to arm my daughter, I need to be able to arm my wife and we all need to be able to arm ourselves.”

New Jersey has some of the toughest gun laws in the United States. A person who is not a law enforcement officer who applies to carry a firearm must demonstrate that he or she has a justifiable need to do so.

In 2017, just 1,212 carry permits were granted to people in New Jersey, according to Guns to Carry, a website that collects information on each state’s gun laws.

Pereira said he did not understand how his Second Amendment rights as an American could be interpreted so unevenly from state to state.

“Because we’re in the liberal Northeast,” replied Freeholder Jack Kelly, director of law and public safety on the Ocean County board.

The freeholder boards in Ocean and Monmouth counties have five seats each and all 10 freeholders are Republicans.

“It’s up to the state of New Jersey,” said Ocean County Freeholder Director Joseph H. Vicari, who pointed out that the governor’s office and both houses of the state Legislature are under the control of Democrats. “So, we have done the best that we can do.”

Freeholder Gerry P. Little said he believes that Second Amendment rights will be strengthened — nationwide — in the future, if the next vacancies on the U.S. Supreme Court are filled by a president who will nominate conservative justices.

“There will be vacancies in the next few years,” Little said. “I think most of you are astute with all of that and understand it. ... It’s folks like you that make the difference and that will make the difference for the future of our country.”

Pushback in Monmouth County

The Monmouth County freeholders offered up a last-minute amendment that referred to pending legislation

after they became aware of a bill authored by state Sen. Vin Gopal, D-Monmouth, that would prohibit a person convicted of animal abuse from possessing or buying a gun.

Burry said she supported Gopal’s legislation.

Freeholder Director Tom Arnone said he was confused about the opposition to the resolution, saying it simply a sign of support for the Constitution.

“The only thing I find a little strange is why people are upset when every elected official, every board member, every volunteer board member takes an oath of office,” he said. “I don’t understand the difference. We all swore to uphold the constitution.”

Some of the pushback came from gun control advocates who say the resolution is dangerous because it could potentially confuse people about what the actual gun laws are in New Jersey.

“By threatening to defy state law, you will be violating your oaths of office,” said Theresa Turner, with the Monmouth County and New Jersey chapters of Moms Demand Action.

Turner said the resolution supporting the Second Amendment was a reversal from a proclamation the freeholders gave her organization supporting gun violence awareness.

“I find it kind of ironic that I was here six months ago when you gave us that beautiful proclamation declaring Gun Violence Awareness Day,” she said during Monmouth County’s freeholder meeting.

“I feel like we have done a 180 because even though you say you are supporting the Second Amendment, why do you need to do that? Why not do a proclamation to support the First Amendment and any of the other amendments?”

Jim Norton of Little Silver claimed the freeholders were approving the resolution solely as an attempt to win over voters. Burry, who introduced the resolution, is up for re-election this year.

“What you are about the pass has no more legal weight than if you were to declare every third day of the week ‘Taco Tuesday,’” he said. “This is a pandering, nonsense grab at votes and very frankly, I’m disgusted. I’m disgusted that this is the length you will go to to get people to come out and vote for you and build a base.”

Democratic freeholder candidates Moira Nelson and Michael Penna also said the resolution was a political move that they called “abhorrent” and “intentionally politically divisive.”

“We cannot get behind any effort to weaken our state’s gun laws, even if it’s just a non-binding, symbolic statement,” Nelson said. “This tells us what their priorities are.”

Gun rights advocates, however, said that New Jersey has more than enough gun laws that burden law-abiding gun owners. The resolution, they say, merely support the rights already afforded to them in the U.S. Constitution.

“We have enough laws. We don’t need any more,” said Dave DeLuca of Keansburg.

Matthew Bartky, a Manalapan resident, said he has undergone 25 background checks because of redundancies in the New Jersey’s gun laws.

“It’s very important to us to have our Second Amendment rights acknowledged and respected,” Bartky said.

Susanne Cervenka covers Monmouth County government and property tax issues, winning several state and regional awards for her work. She’s covered local government for 15 years, with stops in Ohio and Florida before arriving in New Jersey in 2013. Contact her at @scervenka; 732-643-4229; [email protected].

Erik Larsen has covered politics, crime and unusual events at the Jersey Shore for more than 20 years. Contact him at 732-682-9359, [email protected] or on Twitter at @Erik_Larsen.

Copyright © 2020 Asbury Park Press. All rights reserved.Use of this site signifies your agreement to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. (Updated June 7, 2005)

o