AC10

How to handle a FFL mistake........

Question,.......if the FFL incorrectly recorded some aspect of your handgun on the permit form, (make and/or caliber and/or serial#, etc), what is the proper way of handling this and getting it corrected?  (If any FFLs see this your thoughts are GREATLY appreciated.)  Also, is the buyer in any way legally responsible for not catching the mistake?  Thank you in advance.

7 hours ago, AC10 said:

Question,.......if the FFL incorrectly recorded some aspect of your handgun on the permit form, (make and/or caliber and/or serial#, etc), what is the proper way of handling this and getting it corrected?  (If any FFLs see this your thoughts are GREATLY appreciated.)  Also, is the buyer in any way legally responsible for not catching the mistake?  Thank you in advance.

This happened to me a few years ago. I told the dealer and he did not see the need to correct it at all. I added the serial # to my copy of the P2P. I can't think of any reason this would ever be an issue.

56 minutes ago, dajonga said:

This happened to me a few years ago. I told the dealer and he did not see the need to correct it at all. I added the serial # to my copy of the P2P. I can't think of any reason this would ever be an issue.

This can be an issue when the Police come calling to confiscate your guns, whether that's because of a ERPO or a TRO - a TRO is commonly used by soon to be ex-wives through no fault of your own to gain advantage in divorce negotiations.

When the State Troopers came to my house with a TRO from my ex, it listed every handgun I had purchased in NJ - the PtPP is a "form of register" after all.

If there's a gun on that list that they can't account for they will turn your house upside-down looking for it.

Fortunately, I knew my ex would pull something like this so I had the paperwork handy to prove I had transferred everything to Gunsitters. The Police thanked me and left with just my FPIC without having to do a search. They also asked if I would be so kind to run down to the barracks in the morning so they could get a photocopy of the receipt I showed them.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 9:09 AM, PK90 said:

Wrong serial number, contact the dealer. IMO, Everything else doesn't matter.

It matters to someone.  Went to a new FFL, and they did not log an AR-10 I had bought as 7.62x51 but 5.56. They had some other similar book keeping issues on used guns that passed through. They got audited and told to fix them. I got contacted by  the FFL to verify info as correct. 

But yeah, in the end the only thing that really matters is the serial number. 

On 5/12/2020 at 12:09 PM, raz-0 said:

It matters to someone.  Went to a new FFL, and they did not log an AR-10 I had bought as 7.62x51 but 5.56. They had some other similar book keeping issues on used guns that passed through. They got audited and told to fix them. I got contacted by  the FFL to verify info as correct. 

But yeah, in the end the only thing that really matters is the serial number. 

I wonder what happens if they can't reach you.  Maybe you moved, changed phone #, etc.