Sign in to follow this  

Thats just my $.000002 some one else may have a different suggestion or different input. If you search around I know there was a post on here somewhere about this, some kind of organization that can guide you along the process, it also mentioned something about expongements for free if you become a member, but dont quote me on it. Good Luck!

I agree with trying to get it expunged, but it may not help.

There's a relevant discussion here:

http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/article60697.htm

The thread takes a few turns away from the original post, but you'll get the point

Ken

Read this. Take the time and you can do it yourself. The biggest cost is for the postage of the registered and return signature requested items.

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/ ... ge_kit.pdf

It isn't difficult but you have to dig and get specific information of the charge, court and dates. you will need disposition of the charges available from the court of record. How you get that depends on the court itself. Some will take a written request, some a personal appearance. But you will save considerable money on doing it yourself. I handled many of them in work and they are nothing more than filling out a form.

The last phase is the actual approval of request in court. In many cases it can involve only one appearance and is routinely granted if not disputed. I can't ever remember having one disputed. Be aware that some charges cannot be expunged. A DV conviction will kill your chances. A minor drug conviction won't unless was was an Indictable downgraded. Then it is anyone's guess. Each Chief has his or her own ideas on the matter. I would suggest discussing it with whoever is processing the request.

I'll have a problem getting my fid card after the expungment

If you are going to wait until after the expungement, you will have a long wait. Most that I saw took well over six months to a year.

Make sure the attorney notifies the agencies , State, County and Municipal if and when the expungement is approved. Some don't. It is up to your attorney to notify the agencies, not the court. Without the notification, the arrest will not be removed. I've seen a bunch screw up.