Sign in to follow this  
Njbanshee

Mil surplus has become an addiction of mine. I'd like to see what you guys think of this 1917. The good the bad the ugly. It's an eddy stone barrel, receiver, with a Remington bolt. The barrel is in excellent condition. Obviously, not the original stock. The big question, what's it worth?post-5664-0-52489400-1382833635_thumb.jpgpost-5664-0-67975000-1382833684_thumb.jpgpost-5664-0-23699200-1382833739_thumb.jpgpost-5664-0-17082900-1382833800_thumb.jpgpost-5664-0-33887700-1382833860_thumb.jpg

That's a fine looking rifle. I'd say it is worth $500-600. The Eddystone models command the lowest value, as they were the highest produced models I believe. Winchester models command the highest prices I think.

I have a Remington M1917, all matching. Paid about $800 for it a few years ago, mint rifle. It is very intimidating when you mount the 16" bayonet on it!

For some reason the 1917 is the least desirable of the 30-06 battle rifles. #1=Garand, #2 & #3, 03,or 03a3. In my book 41 Johnson should be #2. 1917 dead last. Again JMHO! Flame -On!

For some reason the 1917 is the least desirable of the 30-06 battle rifles. #1=Garand, #2 & #3, 03,or 03a3. In my book 41 Johnson should be #2. 1917 dead last. Again JMHO! Flame -On!

Guess that's why you sold it to me :). I shoot the 17 better then the 03, maybe it is just me but it seems smoother. Of course nothing tops the Garands. 

I just have an affinity for Garands, But my 03A4 shoots lights out! I passed up an 1941 Johnson for 3500 about 6 years ago, DAMN! Sorry I passed that one up.would be 8K now.

OK details....just like any other milsurp condition and originality are the key.

You have a mix of parts...most call em mixmasters...and that is common...as the armorers didnt pay attention to correctness over the years when working on rifles....that being said

1)  It has a mix of parts so NOT original factory spec

2)  After market stock

3)  In 30 cal US weapons gauging of the barrel and throat ( i dont worry too much about throat) is indicative of overall wear...

4)  Maker as stated above.

All that weighed together indicates the current value....maybe more maybe less depending on whom you speak with.....

As far as the "mix" of parts is concerned, there is some grey area as far as Remington (R) marked parts and Eddystone (E) marked parts is concerned. Research is required for them, as Remington ran the Eddystone manufactory. As such there was some "mixing" of parts between the two due to wartime exigencies. My M1917 for example has all Remington parts, save for the upper handguard rear barrel band half, which is marked with an E. As far as I can tell from my research on the subject, it is correct for the rifle.