Sign in to follow this  
aeromaks

What should I know about buying a shotgun?

Jack the biggest factors in shotgun choice will be the type of shotgun you like, what you are going to do with the shotgun, and how much do you want to spend. Most common on the trap ranges is over/unders and semiautomatics with 12 and 20 gauge being the popular calibers. Dedicated trap guns have 28"-32" barrels, if you plan on shooting skeet or sporting clays along with trap an over/under will serve you better but a shorter barrel swings easier. The advantage of semiautos is they are less tiring and do a great job absorbing recoil. The traditional side-by-side is very popular in England but rare on the ranges in the USA. Shell capacity should not sway your decision most regulation ranges will not allow more than one shell to be loaded at any time unless you are shooting doubles. Single shot trap guns function like an over/under but are more specialized, have a lot of adjustments and cost a lot more.

I hope I was able to answer some of your questions witout going on and on. Keep in mind the cost of the gun doesn't make you a better shooter, discipline, technique and lots of practice is what it takes. ;)

Shotguns are totally personal. It is my experience that you will possibly look long and hard till you find the perfect shotgun for you. I like SxS, I dont like OU, but I shoot an A5 semi the best.

You need to just start with something that fits you correctly. FIT is the most important component of shotgun shooting. Please take the time to find out how a shotgun should fit your frame, and then find one that does fit. It will help you score much better.

I found that I have a longer LOP then normal...but I already had gotten myself used to shooting shorter guns. So it took me some time to re-adjust my sight picture and swing to a longer stock.

Have fun... shotguns are a blast.