Maksim

AR stock choices for NJ

youre telling me. apparently, you can buy a collapsible stock, own it, but cant put it on an AR? WTF??? why would you even buy a collapsible stock just to pin it anyway?

Your allowed to buy a collapsible stock, and own it... but if you put it on an AR then the AR will have 2 of the magic evil parts (collapsable stock and pistol grip) that would then classify it as an assault weapon.

If you have and AR and the collapsible stock in your house at the same time then you are risking "Constructive Possession"

Considering NJ deals with many of these things with JAIL time, I would not take any chances. But hey that's just my opinion.

MSax

I've never seen one in person, so not sure, but, from looking at pictures, you could maybe drill a hole diagonally from thru the lower portion of the stock into the upper portion and then put a roll pin in. You could even try puttin a hole in the lower portion and then and an adjcaent hole in the top portion of the stock, and put some staple shaped piece of metal between the two and cover it in epoxy. Just a guess tho and not sure how "permanent" the "staple" method would be.

Collapsible stocks aren't completely illegal in nj that is why you can still buy them. The are only ban on semi-automatic rifles and shotguns. Rifles such as the remington 7615 can be owned with a collapsible stock in NJ since it is a pump action rifle.

remington 7615

Had to look that one up - kind of interesting.. it's like an 870 with a detachable box magazine.

It was designed to create a patrol rifle that police officers could switch to from the 870 with minimal additional training. It uses an ar mag. I handled one at Lawmans and all of the controls are in the exact same place and operate in the same way as the 870. Its a neat gun if I would of thought about it before I bought my AR it might have been an option considering its half the price at about $600.

you can basically pin ANY adjustable stock...

the most annoying part is taking the rifle length buffer tube and HAVING TO BUY the carbine length tube.. (if you want a shorter setup)

theres a difference between these two? You cant just drill the normal length tube?

I have a few questions on pinning stocks, if you guys can help with the answers.

If it is illegal to posses both a new adjustable stock & an AR, how can one measure the length to have it pinned? You do want to have it pinned according to what LOP you are comfortable with.

I have a Colt Match Target Competition HBAR II w/a 16'' barrel. What would I need to change if I were to get an adjustable? The buffer, spring etc? change to what version? Is my rifle considered a carbine length or rifle length?

On Magpul's website they list a commercial version & a mil-spec version of the CTR & MOE stocks. What are the differences?

I'm no expert, but let me see if I can answer some of your questions. The 16" HBAR is carbine length. I could be wrong, but I believe you would need a minimum of a 17" barrel to pull of a rifle length gas system.

As far as determining what LOP works best for you, there's a few choices.

1 - buy the components for a collapsible stock (buffer tube, buffer, buffer spring, castle nut, end plate and stock), move it around till you find a position you like, and pin it yourself. I'm not entirely sure of the legality of doing all that, but, enough people pin their own stocks, so, take that for what it's worth. Someone more knowledgeable on the specific legal considerations regarding collapsible stocks and their components can probably clear that up (maybe PK90 will read this and chime in)

2 - next time you're at the range and see someone with a pinned stock, politely ask if you can try it on for size.

3 - take a guess at what LOP you think will work best for you and hope for the best :) That's the route I went, and had the stock pinned at the second position from the receiver without ever having even held an AR. Ended up working fine for me.

Difference between comm and milspec tube: http://www.magpul.com/pdfs/technotes/ct ... tubeid.pdf - Go with the milspec.

Thanks for the help Caine.

I'm no expert, but let me see if I can answer some of your questions. The 16" HBAR is carbine length. I could be wrong, but I believe you would need a minimum of a 17" barrel to pull of a rifle length gas system.

As far as determining what LOP works best for you buy the components for a collapsible stock (buffer tube, buffer, buffer spring, castle nut, end plate and stock), move it around till you find a position you like, and pin it yourself.

Is there a specific brand of kit that I could everything in one package? I'm not entirely sure of the legality of doing all that, but, enough people pin their own stocks.

I was planning on trying to pin it myself Someone more knowledgeable on the specific legal considerations regarding collapsible stocks and their components can probably clear that up (maybe PK90 will read this and chime in)

anyone else?

Difference between comm and milspec tube: http://www.magpul.com/pdfs/technotes/ct ... tubeid.pdf - Go with the milspec.

So to be sure, I really need to take of my stock and measure the tube?

Is there a specific brand of kit that I could everything in one package?

There's a bunch of kits out there. I don't know if one is necessarily better than the other, but you're looking for something like this:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/CMMG ... embly.html

Then just pick the stock of your choice - MOE, CTR, etc.

http://www.riflegear.com/t-howto-ctr-stock.aspx

Also, be sure to stake the castle nut to the end plate (some people say it's not necessary - i say why take the chance). You can do it yourself - just google it. it's very simple (think hammer and punch)

So to be sure, I really need to take of my stock and measure the tube?

Honestly, I'm not sure. I believe your AR has an A2 length stock, which I guess means it has a rifle length tube. This is not to be mistaken with a rifle length gas system. 2 different things. i.e. one of my ARs has a mid-length gas system, but a carbine length buffer tube. But, again, not entirely sure. Both of my ARs have carbine length tubes, even tho one of them has a fixed stock.. but it's a Sully stock, which is a different thing entirely.

Good luck