Maksim

AR stock choices for NJ

Copy of my post from Damage's thread:

If you are looking for a shorter stock, I highly recommend the Sully Stock from Defensive Edge. It's a bit on the pricey side, but it is built like a tank. I have one and its great for myself and my wife.

It comes with the shorter buffer tube, buffer, spring, and screws.

http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servl ... ock/Detail

you can basically pin ANY adjustable stock...

the most annoying part is taking the rifle length buffer tube and HAVING TO BUY the carbine length tube.. (if you want a shorter setup)

Like others have said, you can pin pretty much any collapsible stock you want. I currently have a pinned Magpul MOE stock on my AR and it's nice. I also have Sully stock sitting around for a future build.

Another option is a Cav Arms lower receiver which has the stock built into it: http://www.cavalryarms.com/MKII.html I've never had one or seen one in person, but, based on the specs, it might be good for a lightweight KISS build.

Of course there's always the good old A1 and A2 stock (I'd pick A1 over A2 cuz it's a smidge shorter)

Never been a fan of the ace stocks, simply from an aesthetic point of view.

i'm using a sully stock on my latest build.

i've also used the ace entry length and rra entry length buttstocks.

i really prefer the shorter length of pull they provide.

i have a magpul prs that i'm using with my 18" POF / LMT combo...

Any chance you could show a picture w/ the Sully stock? Any idea how much shorter it is vs. an A2 stock?

I was looking at the one from VLTOR, with the storage compartments... If I get a HOLO or Red Dot, then it might be worth storing extra batts on the weapon itself. :mrgreen:

unless you get an aimpoint...

http://www.aimpoint.com/military/products/aimpoint_compm4_and_compm4s

Battery Life, typical** 80 000 hours for good quality battery

How much and where can I get one?

\aimpoints are VERY pricey.. but really top shelf!.. great optics..

Just wondering. I'm doing two carbine builds and would like to get a Magpul CTR for one and a M4 collapsible for the other. Obviously they will need to be pinned. In NJ do we have to pin in the extended position (with carbine tube) to comply with the law ? Or, is the issue with total overall length of the rifle?

I know, I know, why pin a stock that is extendable. Just a personal choice.

My understanding is that you can pin it to any position you want as long as the overall length of the rifle meets the minimum length requirements (which I believe is 26", but I'm not 100% sure). My MOE stock (ghetto CTR) is pinned at the 2nd position from the receiver if I remember correctly.

I disagree with our NJ laws about "assault weapons" but I disagree even more with the crappy way they were written.

When they banned adjustable stocks, they meant folding stocks, short weapons, etc.

It should have been setup so that adjustable length stocks were ok as long as they could not be made so short that the rifle would be too short for the law. In other words, if I had a rifle with an adjustable stock that allowed the rifle to adjust from 40" to 45" long, who cares? On the other hand, if I had an adjustable/folding stock that allowed the rifle to be either 40" long or 20" long, that wouldn't be allowed.

It's not just the concept behind the laws that is offensive (and it is), but the terrible implementation.

I went with the Cavalry Arms C1 stock. It is 5/8" shorter than the A2 stock (hence no spacer needed in it). I like the solid stocks because my cheek wants a solid surface to plant against, but I found the Entry and Sully stocks to be a little too short.

http://www.cavalryarms.com/C1.html

Most of the gun related laws in this state are moronic.. I personally think the whole threaded barrel thing is even stupider than that non-adjustable stock. But anyway

As far as overall length, every time I try to look it up I come up with the 26" number, which I believe is stated in federal law. 16" barrel - 26" overall length. The only reason I say I'm not sure, is because, as we all know, NJ has a tendency to ignore federal law, and make up it's own rules. That said, I've never actually read anything stating that the overall length is any different here. Your best bet may be to PM someone like PK90.

but I found the Entry and Sully stocks to be a little too short.

I believe Sully sells a 1" buttpad that puts the total length of the stock right around A1 length.

I saw that they had the extended buttbad. I didn't realize that this would put the Sully stock at A1 length. Also, the Sully stocks are $$$. I know they are built well, but I decided to experiment with the Cav Arms. I will report on how I like it once I receive and install the thing.

I can't remember if it's exactly A1 length, or just close to it.. but yeah.. it's an option I guess. The Sullys are pricey (and a bit heavy). I have yet to install the one I have cuz I'm waiting on a lower for it. Def let us know how you like the Cav.