Sign in to follow this  
matt6669

NJ Knife Laws

Hey guys, new to the board and have a quick question about the knife laws in Jersey.

It seems I have found two opinions on the topic and neither of them are clear.

I have come away with you can have a small pocket knife on yourself just as long as its not a gravity knife and under a certain length.

The other is that I have heard you are technically not allowed period to carry a knife on you at all.

Does anyone actually know the code number or etc to give me a clearer answer.

Thanks

Matt

Gosh, this isn't going to help you much as the information is a bit outdated and I've heard myself that the max length varies on the town. So, your best bet might be to contact your local PD or whatnot. From the different things I've heard, I think it really just comes down to intention. Which really comes down to the opinion of the LEO...

Summary: General folders OK. Single-edged fixed blades may be.

Max length: Under 18 may not possess knife with 5" or longer blade, or 10" or longer overall. No other apparent limitation.

Specifically illegal: gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, or ballistic knife "without any explainable lawful purpose" (i.e. an ill-defined exemption). Manufacturers and sellers are not exempt.

Relevant laws: 2C:39-3.e 2C:39-9.d 2C:39-9.1 (Statutes, search for "knife" or "knives")

Taken from: http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/nj.txt

Funny thing is I was just reading up on knives myself.

Excellent, thanks a lot. This does help.

I'm in the market for a knife for daily carry but I also want it to double as a hunting knife as well. I'm looking at knives on the small size with a gut hook for specifically gutting deers so that's why I want it small. So the length isn't going to be my problem. My problem lies whether NJ is going to determine if a gut hook is illegal.

I'm thinking I might be better off just buying two knives one for daily carry and one for hunting buhhh

Anyone have any good recommendations for a hunting knife that has a gut hook on it, and then a regular everyday knife??