Cheflife15

Nj upper question

2 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

Does my upper have to be shipped to a gunsmith if I purchase one that isn't immediately nj legal?

Can an upper be illegal if detached from the lower? 

Every upper I want comes with "illegal" muzzle devices. 

Quick answer, NO!  If you have in your possession, any complete AR or a lower, constructive intent comes into play. You could put the the upper with the bayonet lug and flash hider on any lower in your possession and have an illegal rifle!

Nobody I ever heard of got busted for that!  Don't worry about it. Have the upper shipped to you and Dremel off the lug and replace the flash hider with a muzzle brake!  You may also take the upper to a gunsmith to do the work if you are uncomfortable doing it yourself.  

PS.  That upper is NOT illegal to possess.  As long as you have no lower to attach to it in your car with the upper, you can drive around all day long and not break any law! :)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Might as well follow up with this here. This should be nj legal muzzle device. No flash suppression etc. 

https://deadairsilencers.com/product/keymount-muzzle-brake/

Are we good here?

As long as it’s advertised as a muzzle brake you should be gtg. Either way they will ship it as it’s not a regulated part. It’s a shame we’ll never be able to slap a silencer on these rifles while in NJ. Your fellow shooters to your left and right will love u with the muzzle brake attached.

• Like 1

I think as long as you do not have a complete lower available (ie does not have an upper on it), you should be GTG.  That means if you shoot one of your current rifles and then take it apart to clean it, you would technically run afoul of the law.  Basically don't take apart any of your current rifles until that upper is made compliant.  Or at the very least tell us that is what you are going to do.  ;) 

• Like 1