Old Glock guy

I see no reason to own a suppressor. Change my mind.

It occurs to me that I am legally able to own a suppressor at my residence in Florida.  And while the idea sounds appealing, I can't see the benefit of it since I shoot at public ranges, so I would still need to use hearing protection because of all the other shooters.  Am I missing something? Are there reasons to own a suppressor that are eluding me?

2 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

Are there reasons to own a suppressor that are eluding me?

Yes.  If using an AR in any capacity is part of your self/home defense plan in FL, it will be beneficial.  And, they're just cool.  Maybe if you start showing up at FL ranges with suppressors, it may encourage others to do the same.  I guess the gun regs in England are already very strict so almost anyone that wants a suppressor gets to have one easy peasey.  Over there it is practically rude to show up without one.  They very much value their hearing.

EDIT:  As a Floridian, you have access to many thousands of acres of feral hog hunting lands with virtually no limits.  A suppressor would be nice to have.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

EDIT:  As a Floridian, you have access to many thousands of acres of feral hog hunting lands with virtually no limits.  A suppressor would be nice to have.

America's got a $2.5 billion wild hog problem. These states see the worst of it. (yahoo.com)

3 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

It occurs to me that I am legally able to own a suppressor at my residence in Florida.  And while the idea sounds appealing, I can't see the benefit of it since I shoot at public ranges, so I would still need to use hearing protection because of all the other shooters.  Am I missing something? Are there reasons to own a suppressor that are eluding me?

I enjoy shooting, but I find I have more fun shooting a suppressed 10/22 that anything else. 

It still amazes me how quiet it is. Using CCI standard velocity, the only sound I hear is the bolt cycling. I could literally sit on my back porch and shoot, and my neighbors would never know. 

Try it, you’ll be hooked! 

12 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

Yep, they are hugely destructive, and a massive problem for ranchers, farmers, and landowners. They cause billions of dollars a year in crop and livestock losses, not to mention property and fence damage. 
Hunting pressure doesn’t put a dent in the population. They breed like rats, can start breeding at 6 months old, have several litters a year of about 8 piglets at a time. 

My boss is out at the ranch right now, hunting hogs with a suppressed .300 BLK AR. I told him to kill all he can. Coyotes and buzzards gotta eat too! 

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1