DirtyDigz

Getting an MOS optic on a Glock 26

I've got an old (Gen 3, I think) Glock 26.  I want to get a Holosun SCS MOS optic on it - I've got one on my G19 and like it. A lot.

The G26 carries/conceals much easier for me in the summer.

From what I can tell, my options are:

1 - Send stock G26 slide out to be milled. $100-$150 and new rear sight dovetail located in FRONT of optic.

2 - Buy a Norsso "special order" aftermarket G26 stripped slide with MOS cut for ~$350 (haven't found any other aftermarket slide for G26 with MOS cut).

3 - Buy a new Glock OEM G26 MOS slide, sell old G26 slide. $400 net and selling hassle.

4 - Buy a new Glock OEM G26 MOS complete gun, sell old G26. ~$300 net and selling hassle.

5 - Buy a new G43 MOS complete gun,  new G43 mags, new G43 holster, sell old G26, mags and holster. ~$400 net and selling hassle.

I'm leaning towards Option 2.  Anything else I should be considering?

I would do option 1 or 5.

If you want to stay with a G26 sized gun go option one.

Couple of questions to think about?

• Why specifically an SCS? I would have it milled directly for an EPS carry or a 509T, not an SCS. The only benefit to an SCS is it fits in an MOS cut. If your having it milled, you can use any optic. If you have the option, pick something enclosed for a carry. 
• Why irons in front of optic?

Maple Leaf Forearms
( https://www.mapleleaffirearms.com ) does great work if you are going milled. Quality work done affordable and fast

If you want to go with a slightly bigger frame, and the ability to add a light, I’d go option 5 with the following knowledge:

Option 5 has a couple hiccups you’d need to overcome:
• You’d need to get a 43XMOS (there is no 43mos) 43x has a grip length equal to a G19, not a G26, only it is single Stack so it is about 30% slimmer.
• The SCS won’t fit on the slim frame Glock correctly. It will hang over the edges. You’d need a 407K, a 507K, or an EPS Carry (EPS carry being the better choice)
• the 43XMOS has a light rail so you can add a TLR7a sub.

7 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

• Why specifically an SCS? I would have it milled directly for an EPS carry or a 509T, not an SCS. The only benefit to an SCS is it fits in an MOS cut. If your having it milled, you can use any optic. If you have the option, pick something enclosed for a carry. 

Because I thought the SCS is smaller than the other "major" RDS sights - it doesn't exceed the width of the slide which means less snag potential on draws and more carry comfort, and it sits low enough to use stock irons instead of suppressor height.

If there are other optics that have similar dimensions/proportions to the SCS MOS then I'll consider them.

9 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Why irons in front of optic?

Apparently the dimensions/slide component locations of the "Non-MOS" G26 slide don't allow for an MOS milling while keeping the rear dovetail slot.

13 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

• The SCS won’t fit on the slim frame Glock correctly. It will hang over the edges. You’d need a 407K, a 507K, or an EPS Carry (EPS carry being the better choice)

Hrmm, ok, that knocks the 43 out of the running then.  Thinner/longer grip isn't really what I want.  My big ham hooks like the G26 width, and the shorter grip is a big plus for concealibility.

the SCS is lower on an MOS Glock because it doesn’t require a plate. It also has a smaller window and no battery. It has a niche role, but I think for your purposes. There are better options.

Given that - my “A” answer would be to get the slide milled at Maple Leaf Firearms for a Holosun 509T. 

My second choice would be a Brownell’s slide and a Holosun 407c (or EPS if you want enclosed).
https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/handgun-parts/handgun-slides-parts/rmr-cut-slide-for-glock~-26/

You can use standard height sights with the Brownell’s slide, so you don’t need suppressor height BUIS.

The millwork at MLF is about the same price as the new slide from Brownell’s (under $200) so it’s a wash.

Done!

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

My second choice would be a Brownell’s slide and a Holosun 407c (or EPS if you want enclosed).
https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/handgun-parts/handgun-slides-parts/rmr-cut-slide-for-glock~-26/

You can use standard height sights with the Brownell’s slide, so you don’t need suppressor height BUIS.

The EPS Carry is a great match for the width of a G17/G19/G26 slide. The only thing that is wider is the battery tray cover. I run one on a G19.5 MOS and even with a plate, the deck of the sight is so low that regular height irons work.

The EPS Carry uses the same footprint as the K series Holosuns, not the RMR footprint.

22 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Argggh, so I won't be able to mount an EPS Carry on the RMR slide I just ordered, at least not without an adapter plate?

Correct.

If you're keen on the EPS Carry, maybe cancel the order for the slide you ordered and get your existing slide cut by these guys, https://www.mapleleaffirearms.com/glock507k They offer a direct cut for the K footprint while keeping the rear iron sight in place.

ETA. I have never used this company and cannot endorse them. I was just looking for options for you.

41 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Correct.

If you're keen on the EPS Carry, maybe cancel the order for the slide you ordered and get your existing slide cut by these guys, https://www.mapleleaffirearms.com/glock507k They offer a direct cut for the K footprint while keeping the rear iron sight in place.

ETA. I have never used this company and cannot endorse them. I was just looking for options for you.

I’ve used Maple Leaf multiple times. They are excellent. 

On 12/6/2023 at 2:35 PM, High Exposure said:

Get the regular EPS. It comes with a plate for adapting it to then RMR Footprint.

Thanks, looks like most if not all of the EPS series include the RMR->K adapter plate; just concerned that the adapter plate will push the sight up beyond using regular height irons.

35 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Thanks, looks like most if not all of the EPS series include the RMR->K adapter plate; just concerned that the adapter plate will push the sight up beyond using regular height irons.

With the regular EPS, you will most likely need taller iron sights. With the EPS Carry on my G19.5 MOS using a DPP titanium plate, regular height sights are fine. The EPS Carry has a notch in the deck to see the irons sights through.

I just checked the box that my EPS Carry came in and found the plate - it is 0.047 inches thick. However, I also checked the manual and the adapter plate that comes with the EPS Carry is to adapt to an RMSC footprint. The regular EPS comes with an RMR adapter plate. I don't have one of those to measure.

42 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

I just checked the box that my EPS Carry came in and found the plate - it is 0.047 inches thick. However, I also checked the manual and the adapter plate that comes with the EPS Carry is to adapt to an RMSC footprint. The regular EPS comes with an RMR adapter plate. I don't have one of those to measure.

Thank you - are DPP adapter plates generally thinner than the "stock" holosun adapter plates?

10 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Thank you - are DPP adapter plates generally thinner than the "stock" holosun adapter plates?

They are about the same as the Glock MOS plates. I got the DPP one because Glock didn't supply one for the K footprint.

Update - after a bunch more research I sent my G26 slide out to Wager Machine Works to get a Holosun 407k/507k cut with blued finishing of the cut area.

Nothing against Maple Leaf Firearms, however Wager was almost half the cost.

I'm super happy with their machining - A Holosun 507k fits tightly with no appreciable wiggle in the cut before being fastened down.

1iH70as.jpg
b88cBBs.jpg
8DJvyfj.jpg
huwnYIr.jpg
BogkS7z.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice!!!

Make sure you take off the backplate and look down the hole for the extractor depressor plunger. You need to make sure the mounting screw doesn’t protrude into that channel and cause interference between the MRDS Mounting screw and the plunger. You may need to take a Dremel and shave a millimeter or two from the bottom of the right side mounting screw.

ETA: Oh! And put witness marks on the mounting screws. 

Edited by High Exposure

15 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Make sure you take off the backplate and look down the hole for the extractor depressor plunger. You need to make sure the mounting screw doesn’t protrude into that channel and cause interference between the MRDS Mounting screw and the plunger. You may need to take a Dremel and shave a millimeter or two from the bottom of the right side mounting screw.

Thanks - I looked down the extractor plunger channel with a bright light and the channel appears continuous from end to end - I don't believe the mounting screw hole breaches into the channel.

15 hours ago, High Exposure said:

ETA: Oh! And put witness marks on the mounting screws. 

Got any recommendations on how to do that?  Thin line of nail polish?

On 1/17/2024 at 9:14 AM, DirtyDigz said:

Thanks - I looked down the extractor plunger channel with a bright light and the channel appears continuous from end to end - I don't believe the mounting screw hole breaches into the channel.

Awesome!

On 1/17/2024 at 9:14 AM, DirtyDigz said:

Got any recommendations on how to do that?  Thin line of nail polish?

Go to Michaels or Hobby Lobby and get a paint pen. (or even order one from Amazon)

Also, make sure to use BLUE loctite on the mounting screws. Just a tiny bit, but use it. BLUE only. Do not use red.

On 1/17/2024 at 9:19 AM, DirtyDigz said:

Another question - is there an "in between" iron sight height that is taller than stock, but shorter than suppressor height?

Stock height irons are too low to use with this setup (maybe by an 1/8 inch), but I suspect suppressor height will be too high.

Ameriglo has a number of different heights. Go to their website and see what you think will work.

https://ameriglo.com/products/listing/optic-compatible-sights-for-glock-pistols

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2024 at 9:19 AM, DirtyDigz said:

Another question - is there an "in between" iron sight height that is taller than stock, but shorter than suppressor height?

Stock height irons are too low to use with this setup (maybe by an 1/8 inch), but I suspect suppressor height will be too high.

Try these. I use them on my 26 Mos but with a CHPWS plate. Also see a pictures attached.

https://ameriglo.com/products/details/gl-453

IMG_0436.jpg?ex=65d7d8dc&is=65c563dc&hm=

IMG_0437.jpg?ex=65d7d8dc&is=65c563dc&hm=