ronoverdrive

Ranges near Woodbridge?

So I'm wondering if there are any good ranges near Woodbridge? Don't get me wrong the Brick Armory is a great place, but its still roughly an hour trip for me and I would like to go someplace a bit closer that I can easily get to multiple times a week if I felt like it. Using the mystical powers of the Interwebs and Google I've found this place called Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol Club, good? bad?

I have heard many good things about Old Bridge. My son has shot a few steel meets there and liked it, and it is pretty close to Woodbridge. It takes you an hour to get from Woodbridge to Lakewood? You sure you got that parking brake off? :lol:

south river pistol club + somerset county fish + game - oldbridge is very high priced + has strict work + participation requirments - woodbridge police range was supposed to reopen but i can find nothing about it -

Old bridge isn't really bad at all. I'm a member. It's a lot of cash in two lump sums, but if you divide the cost by the almost unlimited hours of range time you get, it is is actually very cheap.

$15 or $20 an hour for a small indoor range adds up if you go more than once or twice a month.

Old bridge isn't really bad at all. I'm a member. It's a lot of cash in two lump sums, but if you divide the cost by the almost unlimited hours of range time you get, it is is actually very cheap.

$15 or $20 an hour for a small indoor range adds up if you go more than once or twice a month.

Oh whats the pricing look like? I'm having a hard time finding the price on the site.

Oh whats the pricing look like? I'm having a hard time finding the price on the site.

I think its $300 initiation, and $360 dues, payable in two payments. 1st payment when you join, 2nd payment up to 6 months later when you become a full member.

The process for becoming a full member is that you have to go to 5 events, and participate in 2. Pick and choose whichever you want. After you do that, you don't have to go to anything you don't want to.

Theres 12 hours of work per year, which is easy to accomplish, and they have special events where you get works hours as well.

So the first year kind of sucks, but every year after that isn't too bad at all really.

First Year= $660

Second Year = $360

So if you figure $20/hr at a public range, the first year, you would have to go 33 hours to make it worth it, the second year you would have to go for 18 hours to make it worth it. Which is not hard to do at all.

I go at least once a week for a few hours. And I would much rather shoot relaxed and take my time by myself rather then stuffed in a shooting stall port and watching the minutes tick by, worrying about errant bullets which might come through the port wall.

At Old Bridge, you get the 25 yard indoor pistol range which is 24 hours (yes, ive been there at 3am).. and the outdoor range which is 100 yard, 50 yard, a handful of pistol pits, and a shotgun range. Outdoor range is 7 days a week, 9am till half hour before sunset.

Well that's not bad. Do you have to be a NRA member as well? I'm know some of the gun clubs require NRA membership.

Oh yeah.. I forgot about that. I was/am a member anyways. The NRA was giving out free memberships a month or two ago, I'm not sure if the deal is still good.

Also, all old bridge matches are open to the public. So if you want to actually shoot an event, you don't have to be a member, you can just show up with your gear and entry fee. Most disciplines don't have an issue with you observing, but you need to bring ear and eye protection.

Part of the reason why OBRPC makes people participate and observe is that we are a competition heavy club. If you don't like participating, you are going to find a lot of prime time on the ranges taken up by competition. The outdoor range is largely booked for a good chunk of Saturday and Sunday, and the indoor range is booked several nights a week. The outdoor range on weekdays, and late nights at the indoors are pretty vacant though. You'll be lucky to ever see more than 4 or 5 people max.

Also, all old bridge matches are open to the public. So if you want to actually shoot an event, you don't have to be a member, you can just show up with your gear and entry fee. Most disciplines don't have an issue with you observing, but you need to bring ear and eye protection.

Part of the reason why OBRPC makes people participate and observe is that we are a competition heavy club. If you don't like participating, you are going to find a lot of prime time on the ranges taken up by competition. The outdoor range is largely booked for a good chunk of Saturday and Sunday, and the indoor range is booked several nights a week. The outdoor range on weekdays, and late nights at the indoors are pretty vacant though. You'll be lucky to ever see more than 4 or 5 people max.

I find that even with the scheduled competitions, there is plenty of time to shoot casually. And there is usually at least one range open to shoot even during the competition.

The Carteret club is an indoor shooting club with 10 ports separate from the kitchen/meeting room. Magnums and black powder guns are not allowed. The targets are placed at 25 yards and only 22 rifles are allowed. I've been shooting there for years and am also an officer there. I also belong to the Easton club for my outdooe shooting in the summer time.

The Carteret club is located only a few blocks from Roosevelt Ave. about a mile from the turnpike. Theres usually no one there if you call.

Send me a PM if you want to know more.