Sign in to follow this  
kenw

Sig Recall

Just found this on NJHunter. I'm sure they won't mind the repost.

Dear SIG SAUER Customer:

SIG SAUER, Inc. has initiated a Mandatory Safety Upgrade pertaining to our new Model P238

Almost every major manufacturer has had similar recalls. If you remember correctly Ruger SR9 & LCP, had one before one of the newer models was released. S&W has had more than a few with the latest being their PPK. Colt has one on the 1911 last week. Kahr's line of SA handguns. H&K's 45 carbines.On and on. Sig is not unique. The top companies take the time to notify every owner by registered mail. Now add the recalls and warning on ammo and components.

The government contract has no effect. The fact that one subcontracted part came through out of tolerance was the issue. what i find funny is that so many commenting on where the industry is going have never owned the actual product but repeat what they hear on the internet being repeated by others who have never owned the product.

thats what happens when you win a major contract with the government. ;)

Rscalzo... care to chime in? I know you are right next to the factory there.

It's actually their CEO whose name slips my mind. He was the head honcho at Kimber and was solely responsible for their QC falling off the face of the planet. Big proponent of MIM and other cost-cutting procedures. Their government contracts were priced to "the level of quality control required".

I believe it was Ron Cohen. Mim was used long before he showed up. A major expansion was more the cause than a change of techniques. Mim parts are being used in every major manufacturer today. At one point a subcontractor was producing less that acceptable parts. They were removed as a supplier last year. It was one of the major reasons certain models were delayed.

If a recall is thought to reduce a company below what is acceptable, then every one out there is subject to those thoughts. Try and fine a company that hasn't had one recall or modification. Ain't happening.

Do they try and hold down costs? Damm right they do. What company doesn't today. They can charge $800 for a handgun or $1200. you want a top of the line hand built firearm, they are out there in the neighborhood of $2000.

I believe it was Ron Cohen. Mim was used long before he showed up. A major expansion was more the cause than a change of techniques. Mim parts are being used in every major manufacturer today. At one point a subcontractor was producing less that acceptable parts. They were removed as a supplier last year. It was one of the major reasons certain models were delayed.

If a recall is thought to reduce a company below what is acceptable, then every one out there is subject to those thoughts. Try and fine a company that hasn't had one recall or modification. Ain't happening.

Do they try and hold down costs? Damm right they do. What company doesn't today. They can charge $800 for a handgun or $1200. you want a top of the line hand built firearm, they are out there in the neighborhood of $2000.

H&K doesn't use MIM in their weapons, and their QC is way above average.

But you pay dearly for it. The P7 and HK45 are a few hundred more than the standard P220 and P226. Nothing wrong with it if that is the price you are willing to pay. The lower priced line will be forced to use the cost cutting methods or lose money on every sale. Sig has a line of very high priced firearms that are almost custom built using the best parts. But you pay for it.