Sign in to follow this  
Pondscum

Model 94 needs some work

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith that does good restoration work in central Jersey? I have a Winchester Model 94 manufactured in 1952 that I would like to have some work done on.

Some palm prints on the barrel and magazine tube that have developed into some fairly deep pitting. Maybe have the stock and forearm refinished, although that part may be fun to do myself. Thanks.

Unless it is extremely sentimental and you want to restore it to its original perfection, I would do it yourself. If you are handy it is fun and not to difficult. It sounds to me that it would cost you more than the rifle is worth. Play with it shoot it enjoy it.

I'm not really sure what you can do about the deep pitting, but I'd look into finding a high quality refinisher to see what they can do about filling it. You probably won't find anyone who does that kind of work around here. I've read articles about filling pitting with a weld, grind, polish, and re-blue. The mag tube may be too thin for that but it can easily replaced. After all, it is a Pre-64. The stocks on those were all usually pretty nice American Walnut. Get a stock refinishing kit from Brownells or Midway and you can do a beautiful oil finish on that walnut. You can also get new walnut stocks from Boyd's unfinished.

I have a 94 that is newer with the birch stocks. I may go the Boyd's route for a project this fall/winter.

Like Tim said, if it's a family heirloom, you might want to look into these guys. The third one does work on pitted barrels and receivers.

http://www.turnbullrestoration.com/store.asp?pid=20022&catid=19872

http://www.winchesterrestoration.com/

http://www.windriverrifle.com/home.html

Thank for the replies. The gun does have sentimental value, and I would like to do some of the work to it myself. I've never attempted a re-blue job, though, and would hate to screw it up. Doesn't need to be perfect, but i'll probably catch a lightning bolt next father's day if I turn dad's barrel purple.

be careful of who you give your work to. i had someone screw up a simple on one of my guns.

restoration can be pricey. i suggest a call to steve at www.stevesgunz.com. he's a regular gunsmith, but know high quality people who do restoration, or beautification as some call it. take with him.