oldslabsides

Pulaski, NY Salmon Fishing

My buddy fishes there all the time. He even ran into Aaron Lewis, the lead singer of the rock group Staind, there. Very popular spot with lots of big fish, but I heard the water quality is poor and a lot of people do not eat the fish caught there.

Refer to the the Ministry of the Environment's website on information for the consumption of fish. Being born and raised in Toronto, I had no problem eating the fish I caught in various bodies of water throughout the Province of Ontario. Just follow the guidelines on this site for the recommended quantities of fish for consumption.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/en/water/fishguide/index.php

Very popular spot with lots of big fish, but I heard the water quality is poor and a lot of people do not eat the fish caught there.

My buddy fishes there all the time. He even ran into Aaron Lewis, the lead singer of the rock group Staind, there. Very popular spot with lots of big fish, but I heard the water quality is poor and a lot of people do not eat the fish caught there.

That may certainly be true in the Salmon River as all of the Kings and Coho are just going to spawn and die. The exception are the Steelhead and Brownies which spawn and try to make it back to Lake Ontario. I've been there many times and there are dead or dying salmon everywhere. This is most evident in mid to late Sept. and Oct. These fish give an incredible fight and acrobatics when hooked even though they are half dead. Their skin is starting to turn grey-black and the fillets are pink. As we are going quite early, and fishing in the lake, the fish are bright silver and put up twice the fight. When filleted, the flesh is bright orange as you would expect from a salmon. I read a report that the Great lakes are much cleaner than in the past. Even Lake Erie has a great fishery. As Cold Shot said, always read the report for your reccomended daily allowance of mercury and/or any other contaminants :lol:

Go week days so your not shoulder to shoulder .

That's for sure ! If you hook up and have to walk a few feet to land the fish, you have to fight your way back in line to start fishing again. I've fished Douglaston many times. Went early this year to catch em in the lake. Now my son wants to go back in Sept. for the river action.