Sign in to follow this  
DevsAdvocate

Co-witnessing sights.

I have a Stag Model 1, which has the removable hand rail, but a fixed front sight. My primary upgrades to the rifle will be to add a daniel defense quad rail, and a sight (it has picatinny rail on top).

Anyways... I wanted to add an EOTech holo sight... maybe not the best sight ever, but one I found to be interesting and cool. Plus they just released a smaller version that is lighter and takes up less rail.

So... how does co-witnessing work? I would like to have both flip up sights and a red dot/holo. Will the front sight post interfere with the aiming of the optical right?

Also... I kinda wanted to add night rear sights too, and replace the front site post with a tritium coated one. If I shoot the firearm in a dark environment, will the night sights interfere with the read dot/holo optic?

EOTech's are nice. I had a hard time seeing the recticle clearly because I have a astigmatism in both eyes. It makes the circle look like it's rotating slowly. Because of that I went with an AimPoint.

Regarding co-witness there are two popular options:

there is a true co-witness, where the center dot of the Eotech/aimpoint is in perfect line with a rear BUIS and front sight post (imagine the center dot of the Eotech resting at the tip of the front sight post)

And a 1/3 co-witness, where the rear BUIS and front sight post line up in the lower 1/3 of the optic. This would have the Eotech recticle hovering just above the front sight post.

For Eotechs you may need a riser to get a 1/3 co-witness, but I am not sure since I do not own one. Someone else may be able to chime in on that.

About the night sights, it has it's pros and cons, but I've seen nights on a carbine with an aimpoint and I felt the sight picture was way to "busy". The tritium post and the aimpoint dot, plus BUIS (his was fixed, so it was always in the lower 1/3) I did not care for it. I would imagine it be the same for the Eotech.

Hope that helps and wasn't too confusing ;)