Sign in to follow this  
GunNRose

S&W Model 617 .22 4" Barrel

Well, guys, I still haven't shot anything yet, but I'm thinking of getting the above revolver. Can this gun be dry fired without damaging it? Also, I listened to a podcast by a guy in NJ reviewing this exact gun. He said he was 5'11", 170 lbs., and and that after awhile the 617, at 38 oz., became heavy even for him. I'm only 5'4", 110.

I still want a revolver, though, and aren't all .22 revolvers going to be heavy since they're made of stainless steel?

Ammo is way cheaper for the 22 about 1/10 the cost. I was pointing out the similarity so if you did not find a 617 to handle you could handle a 686 and know it was the same. Shops are more likely to have the 686 in stock.

If your worried about weight 2 suggestions would be the model 63 an 8 shot 5" barrel 28 ozs or the 317 kit gun 8 shot 3" barrel with HiViz front sight and 11 ozs.

Those 2 are on the J frame so the grip is also smaller. And a 11 oz 22 will not have any recoil.

Thanks, guys. The task of choosing is really daunting. I'm wondering how realistic it is that I'm going to be able to shoot the exact model I'm thinking of getting before I actually get it; I don't know anybody who owns .22s. If I had to buy a gun without firing it first, will a .22 lead to the least regrets, do you think?

The tip about the 686 being in stock will come in handy, gtonut.

GunNRose

do you know of any ranges near you? I like to try new ranges and i also have a 617 6" (it is a great gun) if you can not make it to BA on tuesday, maybe you can post some info like range location and fees i may be able to take the ride down.