Sign in to follow this  
bad64chevelle

Mauser 98 help please

While shooting today, I noticed this piece broke. I believe it would be called the front band spring? I looked online, and found a few places that sell them, I just want to make sure I am going to order the correct thing. Is this common place or just wear over time? Thanks for the help!

Item is circled.

scheme2.jpg

I have seen them go bad. I have about 10 mausers and 1 had a bad spring. Make sure you order for the right mauser. The parts diagram looks like a yugo(either a m48 or a 24/47) If this is for your German k98 on the pics page make sure to order for a german k98. I am not sure if this part is interchangeable.

Never mind, I looked at the diagram and noticed it covered different types of mausers. Looks like the part circled is good to go. I order frequently from numrich gun parts and they always ship fast.

UPDATE:

I went to the gunshow at the philly expo center today, and spoke with a guy who is going to be re-making these springs in the very near future. He was very knowledgeable about Mausers and I will most likely be contacting for other items later on. I also checked (just need to call and make sure on monday) that Sarco has these springs, I will have to make a trip in the next week. Ive never been there, from what I have read it must be one heck of a place.

Jon

Well bad 64 I've got a 67 we gotta cruise one night..... As for sarco i will admit i like going to the place. But it is the kind of place that you need to know what you are looking at. There are some gems to be had like my mauser yesterday, but there is also a ton of junk. For every 40 rifles there is maybe one nice one in my opinion. If you are looking for something take your time and dig through them all until you find a nice one. I will say there are nice ones hidden you just have to look. Richie and I may be heading down to sarco on wednesday depending if i dont get called back to work. Where are you located?

Hmm we may have to find a cruise night between the two of us! I am from North Hanover Twp (basically 15 mins SE of Trenton) ~two hours from you guys. I am most definitely in for taking a trip to Sarco if you guys are heading there. I am relatively new to firearms, so I am trying to sponge up as much information as I can. Would you guys mind someone tagging along if you guys go?

Richie and I may be heading down to sarco on wednesday depending if i dont get called back to work. Where are you located?

ZOMG what time are you guys going. I get out of class at 3, I'd like to try and meet up and go. Even if I don't buy anything (since I'm poor) I would like the little educational experience since I do wanna buy something in the near future.

M

Well, the Mauser is *temporarily* fixed. A good friend of mine owns a welding shop, and he actually worked his magic and got the band spring back together for now, but I will still be heading to Sarco soon to buy a new one. He did a great job, I did some fine touches with the file, but its holding for the mean time. Atleast I can get to the range this week. Thanks for all your help again!

Jon

Its still holding, and I have probably shot ~100 rounds since it was fixed. Only problem is, I think I messed up and took a little too much off when filing, and it fell out on me once. That trip to Sarco is still planned, but not until I find a job and get some solid income again.