Sign in to follow this  
coldsolderjoint

Best Sabot Slug?

I'm gearing up for this deer season. I got my Mossberg with cantilever barrel, and I'm trying to sight it in. I've only taken about 10 shots so far. I picked up some Hornady SST 300Grain Sabots. #8623.

Good or bad? What do you use when you actually hunt?

(These things aren't good for messing around... too damn expensive.. lol)

I use Remington Copper Solid Sabots.

I have used both the older versions and the newer ones and both are really accurate out of my Mossberg 9200.

You really need to pick a couple different ones and see what your gun likes best.

I have used both the older versions and the newer ones and both are really accurate out of my Mossberg 9200.

You really need to pick a couple different ones and see what your gun likes best.

That's what I've read online. I figure once i get it zeroed in (as close as possible).. then I'll buy a few different types and see what kind of groups I can get. I've only put about 10 rounds through it so far. I got 15 more sitting on my desk.. Now only if my shoulder can take it :evil:

Man.. I can shoot trap all day long and even 50 or 60 rounds of blowing up cans with my 590, but a few sabots off of bags and that's enough for me.

That's what I've read online. I figure once i get it zeroed in (as close as possible).. then I'll buy a few different types and see what kind of groups I can get. I've only put about 10 rounds through it so far. I got 15 more sitting on my desk.. Now only if my shoulder can take it :evil:

Man.. I can shoot trap all day long and even 50 or 60 rounds of blowing up cans with my 590, but a few sabots off of bags and that's enough for me.

Yeah, full load shells, specially when you're sitting down and leaning into it put a good thwack on you.

You really don't need to stress too much about the rounds though. If you can hit a 8-12inch circle at 50 yards with 5 rounds you should be fine. No gut shots! They'll just plain ole ruin your day. You just need to make sure you don't get rounds that fly away and any of the $3-$4(per round) Sabot rounds won't do that.

Yeah, full load shells, specially when you're sitting down and leaning into it put a good thwack on you.

You really don't need to stress too much about the rounds though. If you can hit a 8-12inch circle at 50 yards with 5 rounds you should be fine. No gut shots! They'll just plain ole ruin your day. You just need to make sure you don't get rounds that fly away and any of the $3-$4(per round) Sabot rounds won't do that.

Good :D cuz if it's costing me $2 to $3 everytime I pull the trigger, I would rather be shooting a .50BMG :mrgreen: