lunker

Central Jersey RPC vs Monmouth County RPC vs Ft Dx Range 14

I live in Atlantic Highlands. None of the ranges I listed are super close, although Monmouth isn't too bad in Farmingdale. I would really like an outdoor range to be able to bring my rifles to.

The whole NJGF CJRPC visit thread makes me question whether it's worth it to join there, although the facilities are supposedly excellent. I know a few forum members who belong to CJRPC. Does anyone here belong to Monmouth County RPC? Does anyone have any pros/cons for all of them? Recoomedations for me? Thanks in advance.

I belong to Monmouth County R&P Club, for around a year.

I like it, I enjoy the comradery at the competitions. I participate in bowling pin shoot, trap, CMP rifle and 3-gun military shoots, and also shoot along quite a bit.

Good points: very low key, fun activities most weekend mornings, no one tells you what to do, outdoors range, 100yrd range, very inexpensive at $100/year.

Bad points: very rustic, no roof, portapotty only, no running water, activities take up most weekend mornings, lots of grumpy old men.

-Melgamatic

You could throw Old Bridge into the mix as well?

True enough. I don't know much about them either. Old Bridge and Monmouth are the closest to me, although $384 a year for Old Bridge is more than I would be happy paying. And from Melgamatic's post, it sounds like CJRPC doesn't have the monopoly on grumpy old men.

I am in similar dilemma. I wouldn't mind joining a range. Central Jersey is too far for me, Old Bridge is very expensive and I did not like their indoor range (have not seen outdoor).

A Shame since it is SO close to me, but the price of $385 per year + initiation fee and all their other stuff is a it much for me.

The grumpy old men at the MCR&PC don't bother you very much. They mostly don't actually shoot, and you only see them at the monthly meetings (of which you only need to attend 1 when you join).

They have 400+ members, but you see the same 20 people at all the competitions and other times. Those people are all very nice, anxious to help or leave you alone, etc. No one ever thinks about picking up your brass, telling you what you are doing is wrong (unless you are really waving the gun around or something), etc.

The newsletter has a lot of grumpy old man flavor to it, but who cares?

yeah, most of the time monmouth is not even mentioned.

where is it located? Howell right?

Hill Road in Farmingdale, I think. The official site only lists a PO box there. I found the location by searching on the net on other sites.

I am in similar dilemma. I wouldn't mind joining a range. Central Jersey is too far for me, Old Bridge is very expensive and I did not like their indoor range (have not seen outdoor).

A Shame since it is SO close to me, but the price of $385 per year + initiation fee and all their other stuff is a it much for me.

Fair enough. It is nice though.. to be able to shoot at least 1 of your guns 24 hours a day. There are a lot of members.. but it seems like not too many of them actually use the range. There has never really been a time (aside from organized competitions) that I was shooting with anyone other than my own party.

I'll agree that It's a lot of cash in one lump sum, but for what you get it really isn't a bad deal when you compare it to $20/hour for a cramped up, loud indoor range. Before my father got sick, we would go at least once a week for a few hours, so that's a lot of cash adding up at a public range.

Just saying.. :D

Here is a satellite image of the MCR&PClub:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.193877,-74.141107&num=1&t=h&sll=40.169037,-74.194453&sspn=0.13649,0.256119&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=&ll=40.194594,-74.13615&spn=0.010261,0.017252&z=16&iwloc=A

Hm, doesn't quite work. If you look at that map, follow Hill Blvd off of Belmar Blvd to the end. Follow the little loop around the bottom of the runway, then take the unpaved road along the bottom of the field and then NW diagonally across the field. The range is the open area at the end.

We just got final EPA clearance for the club's own road, which should happen very quickly. It will be a direct shot S off Birdsall Rd.

Here is a satellite image of the MCR&PClub:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.193877,-74.141107&num=1&t=h&sll=40.169037,-74.194453&sspn=0.13649,0.256119&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=&ll=40.194594,-74.13615&spn=0.010261,0.017252&z=16&iwloc=A

Hm, doesn't quite work. If you look at that map, follow Hill Blvd off of Belmar Blvd to the end. Follow the little loop around the bottom of the runway, then take the unpaved road along the bottom of the field and then NW diagonally across the field. The range is the open area at the end.

We just got final EPA clearance for the club's own road, which should happen very quickly. It will be a direct shot S off Belmar Blvd.

nice! I never knew that was there.

yeah, most of the time monmouth is not even mentioned.

where is it located? Howell right?

Hill Road in Farmingdale, I think. The official site only lists a PO box there. I found the location by searching on the net on other sites.

It's right by Allaire airport. Kind between that and Cruz Farms G.C

Does anyone know if non members are welcome to shoot competitions at MCRPC? I just checked out their website and they offer bowling pin matches, which sounds like fun...

Guests are always allowed, as often as you want, but you need to be a guest of a member to attend a competition. I suspect a large number of the people at some of the events are guests, but they are with a member. So, non-members are welcome, but you have to be with a member.

Bowling pins are fun. 8 yards. Semiauto pistols get two tables of 5 pins, and are allowed 7 rounds per mag. Revolvers get two tables of 4 pins.

You shoot each table for separate time, one after another. Your score is the sum.

YOu can reload as much as you want. Sometimes people have to load 3 or 4 times. However, winning times are often in the 2-3 second range.

Even the best shooters can end up with the pin lying down with the small end facing you on the table after a solid hit. You hit it again, it spins around. Very frustrating, but everyone is in a good spirit, cheers for everyone, laughs at bad shooting if the shooter seems like they are having fun, stays quiet during bad shooting if the shooter seems to be having not a good time, etc.

-Melg

Here is the event calendar:

http://geocities.com/mcrpcnj/schedule.htm

bowling pins are 4th Saturday. Most of the events go year round. I think the Black Powder Shoot ends this month, and maybe something else (Cowboy Shoot?) the rest are year round. Last month we had 19 people at the bowling pin shoot!