jersey_emt

First ammo purchase: 500 rounds of 9mm @ 33 cents per round

I just won an auction for 500 rounds of Federal 9mm 115 grain FMJ ammunition for a total of $165.66 shipped. That works out to be about $0.33 per round, around $16.50 per 50 round box.

Huge difference between what I was paying for ammo at the range ($0.50 per round).

Going to try to snag some .22 LR at a good price as I just bought this:

ruger_mk_ii_nra.jpg

Ruger 22s aren't picky. Mine will eat anything. Some of the super cheap ammo has fail to fire issues which isn't a problem with the gun. Stovepiping is almost always due to a worn extractor.

As to 9mm, you CAN get it for $22/100 from Walmart in PA if you are close enough to make the trips. You can also usually find brass for $13 or so for 50 at a number of the online places or even as low at $9/50 for steel cased Wolf. There was a thread recently where some folks bought Blazer aluminum at $11/50 here ->> viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3384

Huge difference between what I was paying for ammo at the range ($0.50 per round).

Ah...range ammo...I never go to ranges that require you to buy/shoot their ammo. Its always at a crazy inflated price.

Well, you only need to use their ammo in their rental guns, you can use whatever you want in your own guns. This is at Ready Aim Fire in Bristol, PA. I think it's a fair policy, and while their prices are of course inflated, they're not that horrible.

Yeah, I probably could have gotten it cheaper, but after visiting 4 Wal-Marts in PA, none of which had any 9mm ammo in stock at all....

Plus, I know that this exact ammo runs great through my guns. 100 rounds with no failures through the P6, 50 rounds with no failures through the S&W 59. I've put another 50 rounds each through each gun with Federal American Eagle ammunition with no problems...I think 124 grain. Whatever they usually sell at Ready Aim Fire. So I know that my guns like Federal ammo.

So, it's a good price for me for not having to go through the hassle of finding well-priced 9mm ammo, and knowing that it will run good through my guns. It's going to be my 'stockpile' ammo -- each range trip I'm going to bring 100-150 rounds, and try to see if I can get anything cheap that day. If so, great, I'll use that on that trip, if not, I'll use what I brought from home.

I have successfully run Remington Golden Bullets thru my Mark II without any incidents. This ammo is notorious for failing to fire. The RGB's are $19.99 for 525 at Dick's Sporting Goods.

I have had horrendous results with the same ammo in my Ruger 10/22.

Ah...range ammo...I never go to ranges that require you to buy/shoot their ammo. Its always at a crazy inflated price.

I think it's a fair policy, and while their prices are of course inflated, they're not that horrible.

.50 cents a round for 9mm IS horrible. its twice the price of what ammo is costing online right now. there is nothing fair about that...

I think it's a fair policy, and while their prices are of course inflated, they're not that horrible.

.50 cents a round for 9mm IS horrible. its twice the price of what ammo is costing online right now. there is nothing fair about that...

For a range, no, it's not horrible. I've seen much worse. Of course it's going to be marked up, do you think that ranges ever make any money from the $10-$15 rental fee? No, they make it from the ammunition. Same thing as with food & drink in movie theaters or amusement parks. You need to buy their overpriced food and drink. In a range using their rentals, you need to use their overpriced ammo.