Lublin

Problem at Gander Mtn. in Middletown, NY

My brother and I were up at Gander Mtn. in Middletown, NY last night. He shot my Bushmaster XM-15 and fell in love with it but wants a .308 caliber for whitetail deer. They had a really sweet Remington R-25 .308 in stock. I pull out my FID card, the the salesman (really pleasant and knowledgeable guy, btw) takes a look at it says he can show me the rifle but can't sell it to me because I'm from NJ. I stood there confused for a second and ask why. He replied that they had sold a AR "assault rifle" type to a man from NJ. That man somehow (probably doing something moronic) got pulled over by NJ State Police on his way home and they made him return the rifle to Gander Mtn. stating that the rifle was illegal because Gander Mtn's receipt had the rifle listed as an "AR-15". Soon after, Gander Mtn. had received a letter (which this guy showed me) from the NJSP barrack stating that they cannot sell these types of guns to NJ residents. This can't be right. I was at Davis Sport Shop in Sloatsburg, NY prior to that and they would've sold me all the AR's I wanted.

We left without the rifle but a great deal on the table provided we can prove in writing that purchase of such a firearm from their establishment by a NJ resident is lawful. How do I do this?

For your reference, here is a photo of a Remington R-25 (much less evil looking than my NJ legal Bushmaster):

r25.jpg

I can't see any reason why that would be illegal.

4 round mag limit.

No muzzle brake

Pinned stock

Shroud perhaps? The NJSP was likely wrong.

It can't have been that great of a deal. Nothing at Gander is. Gander does not have the worst pricing i've seen but it's never made me want to buy a gun. Davis is a little pricey too but usually better than Gander. You can also go to the Davis in Goshen, that guy will often cut you a break if you just ask"

I can't see any reason why that would be illegal.

4 round mag limit.

No muzzle brake

Pinned stock

Shroud perhaps? The NJSP was likely wrong.

It can't have been that great of a deal. Nothing at Gander is. Gander does not have the worst pricing i've seen but it's never made me want to buy a gun. Davis is a little pricey too but usually better than Gander. You can also go to the Davis in Goshen, that guy will often cut you a break if you just ask"

The beauty is that Gander told us they would price match and I found a smoking deal online from a very large dealer.

I think the problem is that Gander's computer system labels these semi-auto rifles as AR-15's and prints the receipt with "AR-15" on it which cause the issue since we as NJ residents cannot own a rifle called an "AR-15." Makes me wonder though because the rifles for sale don't say "AR-15" anywhere on them.

I think the problem is that Gander's computer system labels these semi-auto rifles as AR-15's and prints the receipt with "AR-15" on it which cause the issue since we as NJ residents cannot own a rifle called an "AR-15." Makes me wonder though because the rifles for sale don't say "AR-15" anywhere on them.

THAT goes a long way towards explaining it. Cop asks for receipt and it says "AR-15" an explicitly banned item. I'm surprised the NJSP wouldn't just seize it and throw the guy in the clink.

I think that the "semantics game" is the correct assessment. You saw the letter from the NJSP to GM, how was it stated in the letter? Did it say expicitly "AR15"? If it did, as others have pointed out then the NJSP would have been correct, as AR15's are explicitly, by name, banned in NJ. You have two things working against you - 1) Big Box stores are overly cautious becuase the have a large investment, so they err on the side of caution; And, 2) Counter personnel at such stores are not often the most up to speed or well informed people with whom to do business. As long as they aren't discriminating against a protected class, they can sell to whomever they want. The devil is in the details. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

have them transfer to a local FFL or a local FFL call them to advise them it's NJ legal.

Every time I go to an out of state gun show there is always a big sign stating no AR-15 sales to NJ residence

including stripped lower receivers.

Yep, Gander mountain doesn't have a good handle on NJ gun laws.

This is the Nth time I've told this story, but what the hell:

Last year I went there to look for a shotgun. They were perfectly happy to sell me a semi-auto shotgun with a pistol grip (no-no in NJ) but would not sell me 9mm hollow point ammo as it was "illegal".