Malsua

Smith & Wesson 642

Was looking at the Ruger LCR and now I'm considering the SW 642. Stainless seems to make more sense.

I basically want a CCW firearm for my trips to Ohio. If I get a revolver it must have an enclosed hammer.

Any experience with this one?

You can't go wrong with a Smith J-frame. I assume that when you say the 642 is Stainless you know that only the cylinder and barrel are SS, the frame is alloy. I have, and prefer, the 638. Still gives you a shrouded hammer, but you still have the ability to manually cock the hammer. JMO, but the .357 J-frames just aren't worth the extra money over the .38 Spl.'s, especially since the .38's are now rated for +P ammo. I carry 135 gr. Gold Dot HP, short barrel. The J-frames are especially nice for ankle carry (when you wear Dockers and a golf shirt ankle carry is a viable option - especially when driving). I think your wise to bypass the Ruger - lets wait and see first. There is already a YouTube video on the Ruger that shows extreme flame-cutting of the top strap - could be the way the guy used/abused it or it may be a problem. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Was looking at the Ruger LCR and now I'm considering the SW 642. Stainless seems to make more sense.

I basically want a CCW firearm for my trips to Ohio. If I get a revolver it must have an enclosed hammer.

Any experience with this one?

You can't conceal the P30 IWB?

I can conceal the p30, but it's not easy. You can put these small revolvers in an ankle holster or in your pocket or in a little ditty bag or whatever.

I'm probably going to get a IWB for my P30...I keep putting it off. I tried one at a gun show for a USP2000(similar size) and it fit (sans gun of course).

I have, and prefer, the 638. Still gives you a shrouded hammer, but you still have the ability to manually cock the hammer.

Now I have one :D

Just went out to Meltzers and bought a 638. I'll give 'er a go this weekend.

Definitely like the shrouded hammer and I like the grip better than the Ruger LCR.

WHAT!!! She's going to find out sooner or later, might as well let it be now so your grounded Friday instead of for the weekend:)

But shooting it sounds like fun, how about Sunday morning if your bored, I know Pete expressed interest and I had totally forgot about telling you guys because I was in cloud 9 past two days

Congrats Mark! Enjoy! Only thing I did with mine was take off the Uncle Mike's boot grips (std.) and replace them with Hogue's - very slightly lighter and Hogues, of just about all varieties, fit my hands better - I have them on just about all my wheel guns (and a few semi-autos too).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Nice Mark, I love those little snubbies. I'm waiting for extra money for the LCR, I actually like the grip and the general feel of the gun.

Congrats Mark! Enjoy! Only thing I did with mine was take off the Uncle Mike's boot grips (std.) and replace them with Hogue's - very slightly lighter and Hogues, of just about all varieties, fit my hands better - I have them on just about all my wheel guns (and a few semi-autos too).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I put the houge grip on my Taurus 85 and it feels so much better. It was either the Houge or the Pachmayr. But the Houge feels better, IMO of course.

Awesome buy, Mark! The "bodyguard" style J frames have always been my favorite snubbies

Yeah, it's neat. Sorta ugly, but neat.

Rumor has it you're shooting tomorrow AM? I'm planning on going over there at some point to shoot this one.

Nice Mark, I love those little snubbies. I'm waiting for extra money for the LCR, I actually like the grip and the general feel of the gun.

I put the houge grip on my Taurus 85 and it feels so much better. It was either the Houge or the Pachmayr. But the Houge feels better, IMO of course.

I held both the LCR and this one. The LCR felt big in the ass comparatively. The difference in price was $50 and after watching that Vid with the Flame cutting and liking the feel better, I went with the S&W.

I also like the shrouded hammer. The LCR is double action only. This one has a really light trigger in SA and breaks nicely. I walked in there figuring I'd look at the smiths and buy the LCR and I walked out with this one. Shrug.