Malsua

S&W 638 first shots

So I bought a Smith and Wesson 638 last week.

This gun has an allow frame, stainless cylinder and stainless 2" barrel. It can hold 5 rounds.

The hammer is shrouded. You can cock it for single action use.

It's a 38 Special, rated for +p.

It's primary purpose is concealment.

I'm thinking of an Ankle Holster but maybe an IWB. It's small enough to work in the front pocket of my dockers.

I took it to the range Sunday.

Shooting Winchester white box 38 special 130gr.

Accuracy is good. At 15 yards, off a rest I was able to keep consistent groups in a vertical line. I'm not used to a gun with sights like this so I have to get a better grip on how to sight it in, up and down. Left and right, I was dead on.

Free hand one hand, I can hit in the 8 inch target most of the time. Two hands I do a little better.

The grip is small, but it's a small gun. I'm ok with it. After 40 rounds, my palm was starting to feel it. It wasn't painful and I certainly could shoot another 50 but I could feel it.

The cylinder action was tight and there is very little movement, as to be expected. Removing spent casing was exactly what you'd expect. They come out easily with a good shake, fingernail or pressing the extractor rod.

The trigger is long and heavy in double action. Midway through the pull the initial pressure drops off some and you can stage it there easily. In single action the trigger is very light and breaks nicely.

Overall I'm very pleased. I can definitely recommend this gun for this purpose.

SW638-1.JPG

SW638-2.JPG

How was the recoil?

It was about what you'd expect. It was completely controllable and nothing you'd think "oh crap this is getting away from me". I was shooting standard rounds so a +p might up the pain some. My palm was a little...raw I guess after 40 rounds. It was one of those things where I could shoot another 50 but I don't think I'd want to shoot much more than that at one time. I've shot .460, a .480, a .454 casul and I'm ready to stop after 6 rounds on those since my hand feels like someone took a hammer to it repeatedly.

This wasn't like that at all. I don't want to call it soft, but it's definitely not a heavy shooter. Moderate is the best I can describe it.

How was the recoil?

It was about what you'd expect. It was completely controllable and nothing you'd think "oh crap this is getting away from me". I was shooting standard rounds so a +p might up the pain some. My palm was a little...raw I guess after 40 rounds. It was one of those things where I could shoot another 50 but I don't think I'd want to shoot much more than that at one time. I've shot .460, a .480, a .454 casul and I'm ready to stop after 6 rounds on those since my hand feels like someone took a hammer to it repeatedly.

This wasn't like that at all. I don't want to call it soft, but it's definitely not a heavy shooter. Moderate is the best I can describe it.

Gorgeous gun you got yourself there. I'm assuming this is the reason that you went with this vs a small frame in .357?

SW638-1.JPG

HAHAHA NOOB who takes a picture with their finger on the trigger :)

Just busting ya Mark, that was a fun little gun to shoot. I couldn't hit crap with it, and the trigger pull is a little heavy for my baby soft hands, but definitely a nice shooter.

M

Gorgeous gun you got yourself there. I'm assuming this is the reason that you went with this vs a small frame in .357?

Well, recoil wasn't a consideration for me. I didn't feel the extra 250 bucks for .357 was worth it. .38 special +p is enough.

I was actually a bit surprised with the recoil. I thought it would be much worse. The gun was definitely snappy, but not as bad as I expected for such a short barrel. I was also surprised with the DA trigger pull - wasn't nearly as stiff and clunky as I expected. It definitely takes some effort, but, considering I've shot a revolver all of two times before, it really didn't seem that bad at all.

Overall, it's a great little gun and I'm really kicking myself for wasting a permit on the pink Walther P22 for the woman, instead of getting one of these like I originally wanted :lol::lol:

I wish - I made the stupid mistake of only getting 3 permits when I applied for my ID, and used them all up within a month of getting them :) Haven't put in for more permits since then cuz I was focusing on the ARs. Once the wedding is over, I'll put in for some more permits and one of these will be first on the list