Radek

Reloading questions

I have never reloaded, and I have a few questions. Maybe there is a link someplace?

Thanks for your help!

btw. I am thinking of getting a Dillon 550B. I plan to reload 9mm, .40S&W, .30-06, .223/5.56, and maybe FN 5.7

Questions:

- Do you typically reload in the garage or basement (pros/cons)? What are the humidity (%) considerations and what do you use to control it (beyond the typical dehumidifier!)

- How to safely store powder?

- How to safely store primers?

- What do you do to avoid "static" (i.e., sparks!)?

What are other safety considerations?

excellent reloader.

garage or besement, hmm is the garage insulated if so ok, the basement will need a dehumidifier you can use either location..

A dedicated powder storage cabinet.

I keep the primers in the same cabinet.

static electricity, do not use carpet.

First get yourself a good manual. Lyman 49, Speer 14 or Sierra 5. A lot of your questions will be answered in there. Then buy a second when you get your press. Manuals will differ with information for the same caliber and bullet weight and powder charge.

I load in my basement and run a dehumidifier at 55%.

My powder is kept in its own cabinet.

Take your time, read and ask lots of questions.

I reload in my garage. I keep the primers and powder in a cabinet. My garage was heat and A/C and a ceiling fan.

The Dillion is an excellent press but if your going to reload rifle calibers I'd suggest you get an additional single stage press like a RCBS Rock Chucker and use it for the rifle calibers.

You certainly don't have to but a lot of people like myself prefer to load rifle brass on a single stage press.

I agree with Tim on the book. Buy more then one and I'd also suggest a copy of the book "The ABC's of Reloading"

I'm in Ocean County if you'd like to take a ride down some weekend and see how it's done sometime.

If you store your stuff in ammo cans you'll be just fine. Both primer and powder is not THAT hydroscopic but you don't want to load in a sauna either.

Store your components like you would store your ammo. And keep your stuff away from kids. Don't want little Johnny bringing an empty shell casing to school no less a primer. School being what it is today that primer is an explosive device.

Have fun be safe and you can PM me if you need some help.