Sign in to follow this  
mikeyboyeee

Selling long gun or handgun out of state.

Make sure you verify the FFL's number on the ATF EZ-Check Site or Call them. Only ship to the address on the license.

And keep records of the transaction so you can prove you sold the gun if it ever comes back to you in an investigation, but other than that.. just make sure you get the money before you ship ;)

Check it out but I believe you cannot ship to an FFL unless you are an FFL.

I sold a handgun to an FFL in TX and had to go to an FFL in Jersey and have him ship it. This is for sure.

Long guns MAY be a different story, but maybe not.

Check it out but I believe you cannot ship to an FFL unless you are an FFL.

I sold a handgun to an FFL in TX and had to go to an FFL in Jersey and have him ship it. This is for sure.

Long guns MAY be a different story, but maybe not.

No. You have to make sure the receiver is an FFL when going across state lines. That's basically all the ATF says.

The postal service rules say you can't ship a handgun unless you are a Licensee.

UPS and Fedex have their own policies, this is not the Law. UPS and Fedex will let you ship handguns via overnight (which can get costly, so it might be worth it to have an FFL transfer it for you, plus you have the benefit of it being on his books, in case it ever comes back to you). Long Guns can go via Ground. They require you to go to a UPS Customer Counter, usually at a Hub. You cannot go to a UPS store, or Staples or anything like that.

The other issue is that many FFL's will not accept a transfer from a private individual to make things easier. This is their own policy. Sometimes it is to eliminate headaches for themselves. If the seller didn't include a copy of his identification, then the receiving FFL has no way to verify it when he puts it on his books. Additionally, if there is a problem with the gun, or it has to be sent back to the seller; the seller then needs to find an additional FFL to transfer the gun back.

It sounds a lot more complicated on paper than it really is.

Sorry I can't figure out how to quote.

This is for coldsolder: So you're saying that I could have shipped the pistol to the FFL in TX without going through an FFL in Jersey? Is that right?

Very confusing :doh:

Yes, if the FFL in Texas was willing to accept the shipment from a non-licensee. It probably would have cost you $50-$60 to ship it though. A few pounds overnight with insurance gets expensive. You need to consider that, the FFL transfer route might actually be the same or cheaper.

This is for coldsolder: So you're saying that I could have shipped the pistol to the FFL in TX without going through an FFL in Jersey? Is that right?

Yes, if the FFL in Texas was willing to accept the shipment from a non-licensee. It probably would have cost you $50-$60 to ship it though. A few pounds overnight with insurance gets expensive. You need to consider that, the FFL transfer route might actually be the same or cheaper.

I believe you can also do 2nd day air. doesnt need to be overnight, but needs to be air?

I believe you can also do 2nd day air. doesnt need to be overnight, but needs to be air?

I'm not sure maks.

It's nice to have a FFL as a friend of the family. :whistle: