Col. Mortimer

Central Jersey Rifle & Pistol Club Pits closing temporarily

I received the following email:

Shooters,

This Sunday's steel match at Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol Club will be the last match until March, 2010. As of Monday, 12/7/2009, the pits will be closed for renovation and lead removal. It is anticipated that the work will be completed in February.

We'll let you know as we get closer to completion, when we can resume USPSA matches. We look forward to seeing you on the new, improved ranges next year. Happy holidays and a Happy New Year to all of you.

Vlad, Matt, and Nik

Central Jersey USPSA Co-match directors.

Probably just the pits, as that has been in the works for some time to do lead remediaiton and rearrange them. There usually is a week the outdoor ranges are shut down for hunting season, I thought it was this week, or whenever shotgun season is for deer.

I just came from a club meeting.

CJRPC has closed just the pits at this time for lead cleanup and rearrangement to add several more.

Currently there are 6 pits. At the present time the plans are to have 14 pits of varying lengths and widths.

The rifle and pistol ranges will remain open except for deer hunting season December 7 through December 12.

Also, there will be intermittent closing of the skeet and trap fields for some cleanup.

The pit project should take about four months to complete. There is always the possibility of delay due to weather and getting required permits.

I just came from a club meeting.

CJRPC has closed just the pits at this time for lead cleanup and rearrangement to add several more.

Currently there are 6 pits. At the present time the plans are to have 14 pits of varying lengths and widths.

The rifle and pistol ranges will remain open except for deer hunting season December 7 through December 12.

Also, there will be intermittent closing of the skeet and trap fields for some cleanup.

The pit project should take about four months to complete. There is always the possibility of delay due to weather and getting required permits.

About time they did this. I'm looking forward to more pits.

Tom, I had a question about the pits. I have shot there for the steel shoots and it was a lot of fun. My question is, can members use the steel targets for practice or are they just for the events and you have to bring your own if you want to practice (assuming they let you practice steel in the pits).

I am guessing remediation involves removing x yards of soil from the berms and sifting it through some sort of screen or grate to remove the lead and then put it back on the berms?

The pits are yours to control, unlike sharing a firing line. Go down and replace targets as you need to.

So, basically, once you're set up at a "pit" it's yours and yours alone to do with what you want? If that's the case, that's pretty freakin cool!

Even tho I like Cherry Ridge a LOT, I like some of the extra "freedoms" CJ affords the casual shooter. Too bad it's double the distance for me

Col.,

I updated your main topic heading to clarify that only the pits are closing and not the whole club to help with a little bit of confusion. Hope you don't mind.

Matt

No problem. I tried not to panic anyone. I have not been to that club so I don't know the pits from the main range. I was just passing on an email I thought people should know about. Looks like everyone is up to speed now.

Tom, I had a question about the pits. I have shot there for the steel shoots and it was a lot of fun. My question is, can members use the steel targets for practice or are they just for the events and you have to bring your own if you want to practice (assuming they let you practice steel in the pits).

I am guessing remediation involves removing x yards of soil from the berms and sifting it through some sort of screen or grate to remove the lead and then put it back on the berms?

John, sadly you can't use the clubs steel for target practice but you can buy and bring your own to use.

Yes that's basically what they will be doing in the pits. They are also I believe adding some concrete dividers to cut down on riccochets too. I was out there this past Sunday and they have already started work in the pits. The concrete shooting area's have all the roof's already taken down.

This going to cost in the neighborhood of 300k so I'm hoping they do it right and do a good job.

The additional pits will be a bonus to the membership on the weekends especially when it's tough to get one with the various matches always taking place.

Thanks Tom, this is going to make a great range even better! I really liked the layout and amenities when I was there in October.

Do you think they ban pistol caliber carbines because of the added velocity (due to added barrel length) or because they can't be bothered checking which carbine is pistol caliber and which isn't?

Thanks Tom, this is going to make a great range even better! I really liked the layout and amenities when I was there in October.

Do you think they ban pistol caliber carbines because of the added velocity (due to added barrel length) or because they can't be bothered checking which carbine is pistol caliber and which isn't?

You can get a special badge that let's you shoot pistol caliber carbines in the pits but you can only use lead bullets. I believe you have to shoot in two or three matches, like Cowboy Action to qualify.

They are afraid of the bullets going over the back bearm and landing in the woods. That's the main reason for the ban on the general membership unless you qualify for the special badge.