Sign in to follow this  
jersey_emt

Image: Carrying a gun on your own property

I'm having a wonderful Channukah thus far, thanks ;)

Glad to hear that, Chad! It's cool how our calendars kind of converge to celebrate different miracles at the same time of the year...I think it's great. This is indeed the most wonderful time of the year :)

I'm having a wonderful Channukah thus far, thanks ;)

Glad to hear that, Chad! It's cool how our calendars kind of converge to celebrate different miracles at the same time of the year...I think it's great. This is indeed the most wonderful time of the year :)

I always thought that was some sort of marketing device. Channukah isnt or historically wasnt that big of a holiday in the distant past. I think they basically made it into a Jewish Christmas. Always another reason to go out and buy something.

I lived in Keyport NJ for many years. Carried on my property, after having the police at my home several times called by a know-it-all neighbor, I had the Chief call the State Police who at the time verified I could carry, I think that was about 1981. Our chief was a good guy and I was never bothered again. As far back as 1971 when I turned 21 and bought my first handgun (S&W model 28) I wanted to know what was leagle and what wasn't. I called & request from the Sate Police a pamphlet of the current laws on firearms and found that containted there in. When I'm right I will not back down, I don't fold to pressure from anti's.

Ask your local police

That could very well be a cra*shoot in itself. I know many that are well educated and know the law to a large degree but even the best of lawyers can't answer without researching the topic. I worked for a rather large law firm for many years and got to know several quite well and on a personal level. They aren't the sleaze that they are made out to be with few exceptions as any generalization would find. But the are highly specialized and know their area of expertise well and other areas outside that frame little without research. While not my prime function, many times I would have to school them in certain procedures. I gave one a Cliff book version of Breathalyzer operation until we realized it was my arrest and her client in another jurisdiction. One came crying to me she got a speeding ticket and I had to come to court with her. She had never been before a judge.

The point is, be wary of who you take advice from as it's your butt on the line.

I've found my local police dept. to be very helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable. :) They're the ones enforcing the laws...makes sense to me to ask them about the laws they are paid to enforce. If they tell me something is legal, then they're not going to give me grief about it.

I think we need to calm down. You only need to fear "the man" if you're doing something wrong, just as the Bible says...

Romans 13:3-5 (NLT) - For the authorities do not strike fear in people who are doing right, but in those who are doing wrong. Would you like to live without fear of the authorities? Do what is right, and they will honor you. The authorities are God

-This man's life has been turned upside down for legally owned hollow point ammunition.

It seems that every article detailing this incident is from the less than mainstream press. It also seems to have left out a great deal of the facts. How does this individual go from moving with his firearm's being secured in the truck to be given the paperwork for the search? It makes absolutely no sense. Did they spot it from a spy satellite? X-ray?

-This man's life has been turned upside down for legally owned hollow point ammunition.

It seems that every article detailing this incident is from the less than mainstream press. It also seems to have left out a great deal of the facts. How does this individual go from moving with his firearm's being secured in the truck to be given the paperwork for the search? It makes absolutely no sense. Did they spot it from a spy satellite? X-ray?

That is in part due to only advocacy sources being interested in the story, who obviously do have something of an agenda in printing the story. But mainstream disinterest doesn't mean its a fabrication.

I dug a little more and found this link, http://www.the-912-project.com/2009/07/26/brian-aitken-follows-new-jersey-gun-laws-and-now-faces-7-years-in-prison/. It indicates the police were dispatched in response to a 911 call during a verbal argument with his parents, which I guess he left by car. Are there probably additional details that paint him in a less sympathetic light? Perhaps, but if it was that kind of a scenario, why wouldn't he be charged with things that were actually against the law(threats, assault, etc)? If the guy was acting erratically or seemed dangerous, fine, take the ammo, arrest him, and prosecute him for making threats/evading police/assault/etc.

But that's not what police did. Instead he was arrested based on the claim that his ownship of the ammunition was unlawful. It could be a simple mistake if it had ended there, but it didn't and the state is continuing to pursue charges against him for ownership of hollow point ammunition. Ownership of ammunition that plenty of lawful NJ gun owners presently have in their possession, via perfectly legal purchases at gun shops, Dick's sporting goods, etc. Ownership that is legal under NJ law.

RS: It's posted on the internet...so it must be true and 100% accurate, right? :lol::lol::lol:

I tend to look at those articles with a grain of salt.

Think about it. Someone is moving and has a truckload of items including firearms. Next thing, he's under arrest. The articles I found seemed to jump from one event to the other. That's not normal and I have not doubt a large chunk of information has been left out.

Let's face it. When it comes to the media or just people in general, the stories are usually slanted to sway the incident to their favor.

Ownership that is legal under NJ law

Yes it is. However the County Prosecutor seems to feel that the possession was outside what the state law allows. Transportation to and from a range is fine. Was he doing so? Was he moving from one domicile to another? Don't know but the entity prosecuting seem to think he wasn't. Without the statements from those at the scene, no one has any idea what the level of the threat was or how serious it could have been. I could come up with a number of scenarios mandating those actions. If he at one time lived at that house, the incident is a Domestic Violence requiring certain actions. However, no one actually has the facts so it's all a guess.

I tend to look at those articles with a grain of salt.

Think about it. Someone is moving and has a truckload of items including firearms. Next thing, he's under arrest. The articles I found seemed to jump from one event to the other. That's not normal and I have not doubt a large chunk of information has been left out.

Let's face it. When it comes to the media or just people in general, the stories are usually slanted to sway the incident to their favor.

Ownership that is legal under NJ law

Yes it is. However the County Prosecutor seems to feel that the possession was outside what the state law allows. Transportation to and from a range is fine. Was he doing so? Was he moving from one domicile to another? Don't know but the entity prosecuting seem to think he wasn't. Without the statements from those at the scene, no one has any idea what the level of the threat was or how serious it could have been. I could come up with a number of scenarios mandating those actions. If he at one time lived at that house, the incident is a Domestic Violence requiring certain actions. However, no one actually has the facts so it's all a guess.

THAT isnt even a factor Rich.. Adult Child and parents..if they wanted to make the DV complaint it falls in the guidelines. IIRC wasnt this tine one where the guy had the guns on the back seat of his car, uncased and wrapped in a blanket????