Sign in to follow this  
Melgamatic

200/300 yard procedures at Cherry Ridge?

Can someone who has shot at the 200/300 yard range at Cherry Ridge give me the rundown on procedures?

During normal shooting hours, do people stay in the pits, or do people go down, setup targets and then come back? Is it the same 30 minute schedule as the 100yd range? Do people walk or drive down to the targets?

Thanks, Melg

I have not shot at the 200/300 range Melg but I have seen both people walk and drive down to that range. Also the 300 yard range is only open after a certain time otherwise everyone shoots at the 200.

Outside of that I can't help you much.

Are you a member there?

It's 200 until 1pm, and then 300 after 1pm if people want to shoot 300yd. Or, everyone can decide to stay at 200, apparently.

Just not sure how the target pits work, target changing timing, etc.

Yes, I am a member. Cherry Ridge is 45 minutes North, and Monmouth County is 45 minutes South. I do more shooting at CR these days, but still go to Monmouth for more informal shooting with my son and also for the more fun competitions.

It's 200 until 1pm, and then 300 after 1pm if people want to shoot 300yd. Or, everyone can decide to stay at 200, apparently.

Just not sure how the target pits work, target changing timing, etc.

Yes, I am a member. Cherry Ridge is 45 minutes North, and Monmouth County is 45 minutes South. I do more shooting at CR these days, but still go to Monmouth for more informal shooting with my son and also for the more fun competitions.

So whats your excuse for not seeing you at my Monthly Meets at CR then :)

If no one buys my 700, I will be taking it out to CR from some 300 yard shooting after Christmas time if you want to meet up and do some plinking

Had the 200 yard range to ourselves, but a guy who was just leaving clued us in. Drove down to the pits (it would be a very long, wet, icy walk today), got our tiny targets posted. Got back to the car before we realized we hadn't raised the boards!

I clicked up 10 clicks from my 100yd sight-in, and put 15 shots in the middle of the target. Only one 7, a few 8's, and all 9's and 10's with a bunch of X's. On a 100-yard target!

I will be spending more time on the 200/300 range!

Sounds like fun. I heard shots every time I went out today(I'm about 2miles from CR) and I thought "who the hell is out shooting in this crappy weather"

Now I know :)

What was the backer for that frame thing? Do you stick your frame in that thingy and lift it up or just staple your targets to a board?

On each pit, there is a number board, and then below it a big piece (4' x 4', maybe) of concrete wallboard, like heavy duty plasterboard. Just stapled to that, and then you raise the board. It is counter-weighted, so you don't have to do anything with ropes or pullies, just push the board up and it stays up.

Guy we met was shooting these giant target, maybe these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=511728

which are 35" 35". Giant. We were using normal 100yd targets and with my scope, and with my buddies Garand, we were never off the paper, so we didn't really need those big targets...