Sign in to follow this  
Melgamatic

Gander Mountain in Middletown, NY

I was looking for a short road trip yesterday, so headed up to the Gander Mountain in Middletown, NY. THis was around 75 minutes from my place in Union County.

First off, this Gander Mountain is much bigger and nicer than the other one I visited in Scranton, which was pretty run down.

They had a selection of handguns, a reasonable selection of long guns (including a lot of Savage and Remington rifles in various calibers, which was nice), and a very good selection of shot guns. THey had a nice gun safe display with some very big models, reasonable ammo selection (the rifle ammo was open to touch, pistol ammo behind the counter), some reloading supplies.

And, everything was 20% more expensive than other places....

Everything was either at full retail price or possibly higher. Federal 50 BMG ammo was 50% higher than normal. 223 ammo was 10-25% higher. 22LR ammo was tons higher, $25-$27 per box, with CCI Minimags at $10 instead of the normal $8 per plastic sleeve.

I couldn't believe how expensive hunting clothing was, much much higher than Cabelas.

Next time I'm looking for a roadtrip I'll go 90 minutes West instead of 75 minutes North and hit Cabelas.

-DAve

I get in there every once and a while and yes, most stuff is too highly price. What you can do however is to exit the plaza there at the light, make a left, go under the highway and make a left into Walmart and pick up ammo cheap when they have it. heh.

Every once in a while Gander has coupons and specials so you can get reasonably priced shotgun ammo, targets, rimfire spinners, etc.

The guns and most ammo is too high.

What Gander does do is match prices as Malsua alluded to. The other thing is their Gunsmith shop seems pretty friendly. I neede a T/C fiber optic front and they went in the back and found me one. The other thing was I needed a couple of blind screws and they found them also, and didn't charge me.

Yes they are pricey but it is NY and I try to buy what I can from the local guys.

Walmart for ammo +1. CCI Mini Mags yesterday for $6.50 a box. Milford.

Frank

I must say I've been very fortunate. I bought my Rem 870 from them for 250, you can't find it for that.

They also have had the bricks of .22lr cheap sometimes too.

But mark is right, go around the corner to walmart if you want ammo.

M