Sign in to follow this  
dave545

.22 rifle and ammo

who else finds it absurd that someone from he ages of 18-20 can buy a .22 rifle but can not buy the ammunition thgat goes along with the rifle because it can fit into .22 pistols.

i just a few weeks ago purchased a Remington 597 at Dicks sporting goods and after i had purchased the rifle i went to b uy some .22lr ammo and the associate refused to sell them to me because they could fit into a pistol and i had to be 21 years old with a firearms I.D. card even though he had just sold me a gun that used that ammunition :snooty: :naughty: :doh:

IIRC, It's a federal offense to sell pistol ammo to someone under 21, however, I don't believe there is an official list as to what is pistol and what is rifle.

There are a few rifles which shoot 9mm Luger. Does that make it a pistol or rifle cartridge?

I would try a different store as it might be a Dick's policy.

Or, try online.

IIRC, It's a federal offense to sell pistol ammo to someone under 21, however, I don't believe there is an official list as to what is pistol and what is rifle.

There are a few rifles which shoot 9mm Luger. Does that make it a pistol or rifle cartridge?

I would try a different store as it might be a Dick's policy.

Or, try online.

The federal laws on "handgun ammo" only apply to usage, it doesn't specify a difference between rifle/handgun ammo. Buying a .22 rifle and buying ammunition for it would fall well within the legal federal guidelines. As for NJ, you're hosed. PA Walmart will probably sell it to you and if asked, explain it's for your rifle. This would not be a violation of any law since it is indeed for your rifle. You could also purchase some online at any number of vendors.