Daedalus

.22 LR but not hollow point

I don't want to hijack another's thread so starting a new one here.

I understand (or think I do) the NJ law regarding hollow point rounds. I'm legal for my long guns and .45 but I just came to the realization my .22LR ammo is probably illegal since it's hollow point (except for the exceptions as at home, on own property, etc). I don't think I have ever seen anything other than HP in .22LR; some jacketed, but all HP. A quick Google search shows there is some FMJ manufactured, but few and far between.

Interesting to note that last year I took the NJ Hunter Safety Course and the Rangers doing the rifle practical testing provided rifles with - you guessed it - .22LR hollow point!

Your thoughts?

Hi Daedalus,

Nice username! Do a search on this in these forums. I believe that you are mistaken about hollow points though. They are illegal to possess in the commission of a crime. That's it. It's kind of an "add-on" charge to someone already breaking the law. They are not illegal in and of themselves. You can bring them to the range, etc.

I don't want to hijack another's thread so starting a new one here.

I understand (or think I do) the NJ law regarding hollow point rounds. I'm legal for my long guns and .45 but I just came to the realization my .22LR ammo is probably illegal since it's hollow point (except for the exceptions as at home, on own property, etc). I don't think I have ever seen anything other than HP in .22LR; some jacketed, but all HP. A quick Google search shows there is some FMJ manufactured, but few and far between.

Interesting to note that last year I took the NJ Hunter Safety Course and the Rangers doing the rifle practical testing provided rifles with - you guessed it - .22LR hollow point!

Your thoughts?

Remember that this is New Jersey. Possession of hollow points is illegal, as is possession of all firearms, unless one falls under an exemption, such as stated, i.e. home, range, gunshop, etc.

You may not just walk around with one in your pocket, like this >

2060756482_7c7accd512.jpg%3Fv%3D0

• Like 1

As always, thanks for the clarification! :)

Remember that this is New Jersey. Possession of hollow points is illegal, as is possession of all firearms, unless one falls under an exemption, such as stated, i.e. home, range, gunshop, etc.

You may not just walk around with one in your pocket, like this >

2060756482_7c7accd512.jpg%3Fv%3D0