lunker

My New M1 Garand - Courtesy of the CMP

DSCN0032.jpg

my dcm from 1991 - price was $68.00 + shipping - 1942 springfield , all original except bolt + stock - overhauled at raritan arsenal in 1946 , stock + bolt replaced (wra ) - had to wait 9 months to get it because of the gulf war - the old raritan arsenal rebuild shop was only about a 1/2 mile from my house -

DSCN0032.jpg

my dcm from 1991 - price was $68.00 + shipping - 1942 springfield , all original except bolt + stock - overhauled at raritan arsenal in 1946 , stock + bolt replaced (wra ) - had to wait 9 months to get it because of the gulf war - the old raritan arsenal rebuild shop was only about a 1/2 mile from my house -

Wow, $68.00? That's the price of dinner at a mid range priced restaurant for 2.

things were different before dcm was changed to the cmp - prices were great but you could only by one garand in your lifetime - price was only $68.00 but shipping was $26.00 - they also used to sell parts at super low prices -

Man, I was thinking of jumping on one soon. Seeing pictures on other forums of the service grades coming in recently looking MINT. Did the order form have to be signed and stamped by a notary?

Yes. I just went to my Bank of America branch and they did it for free. You can just bring in the single form that says Civilian Marksmanship Program. There isn't a big picture or bold print saying you're signing to get a gun because they shave notarized the form. Before I got the forms I was wondering if a notary would be hesitant to sign a form saying that I'll be getting a rifle.

Ok cool, Ill have to stop in at the local bank and get that done, I sent out for the Garand Collectors Ass yesterday. I saw they had the Special Grades 100 off and you can preorder on the E-store to hold them for 14 days. And as I mentioned before the Service grades that have been going out are in excellent shape from what I seen on ar15.com

While we're on the subject of Garands, what's the general consensus on Garands like the ones AIMSurplus sells? http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... groupid=12

Obviously quite a bit more expensive, but, are they worth the extra money?

Havent seen one in person but it appears to be close to a Special Grade from CMP, which is new stock, barrel, and other refinished parts.

While we're on the subject of Garands, what's the general consensus on Garands like the ones AIMSurplus sells? http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... groupid=12

Obviously quite a bit more expensive, but, are they worth the extra money?

I bought one of those. They're nice but quality is not as nice as these http://www.m1garand.com/.

I'm talking about in terms of fit and finish as well as smoothness of operation. The color of the packerized finish is a bit light on the AIM surplus rebuilt ones. In hindsight, for the same amount money, I would rather get an original Garand with original stock/parts.

I bought a couple of Garands from CMP and replaced the stock with a CMP stock on one of them. Here's a link to a great book:

http://www.fulton-armory.com/

scroll down to books, select M1 Garand and look for "M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide"....really great book! Gives you tips on what to do and not to do along the way. BTW, I only shoot the Greek ammo from CMP for now. Will probably reload eventually. Don't want to ruin the operating rod with too powerful loads.

Also, you can send your Garand to Fulton Armory for various work, ie. new barrel, stock, trigger, etc. or buy parts from them. Check out their services and parts list. I bought a bayonet from them...in case I run out of the Greek ammo.

I read this thread with envy.

My father(rip 2005) had an M1, if I could ever gin up the courage to call his wife, it could be mine. sigh.

I hope you get your dad's rifle. That's a keepsake that could be passed on for generations.

If you decide not to make the call...

For $600 and about an hour of paperwork, the Civilian Marksmanship Program will send you one US Mail. See the link at the top of the page. It's easy. The worst parts are getting a form (that they provide) notarized, and having a range officer somewhere certify that you can safely handle firearms.

I read this thread with envy.

My father(rip 2005) had an M1, if I could ever gin up the courage to call his wife, it could be mine. sigh.

For $600 and about an hour of paperwork, the Civilian Marksmanship Program will send you one US Mail. See the link at the top of the page.

I know.

I'm certainly going to do that at some point.

The issue is that I have one, I've just been denied it because my step monster has kept it from me. I need some leverage.