Shane45

1911 Build

I thought you guys might like to see some of my work. I dont pistolsmith professionally, but heres a pic of the first 1911 I built. I built it about 7 years ago I think. I put about 200 hours into it. Every part is hand fitted. This is the pistol I will be using to try my hand at IDPA. The coating is Norrells Moly Resin in SOCOM Black. I did the finish myself as well. I was contimplating doing a flat rear of the slide, when Scott Mulkerin released one that he did and once I saw it I knew I had to try it. All my 1911's since then have it. Well enough jabber here you go:

image001.jpg

Well.... ya cant really get these specific ones anymore. I got these made for me by Rob Simonich before his fatal accident. They are still being made but from what I understand they are subcontracted and a bit different than the originals. If you look in this link you can even see they look different. Just not as well finished IMO. BUT you may like them better. Some complained the originals like mine were too rough on the hands. I want to be able to grip my pistol bloody, oily, muddy, rainy....you get the idea so I like the meat grinders. With the serrations and the grips, you dont slip thats for sure.

http://www.simonichknives.com/gunner.htm

Nice Work. I see you were in the Patriot class w/ Capt Eagle. I was in his second class. Never finished my gun but got about 1/2 way through the class. I learned alot regardless. After a year of the incomplete 1911 sitting in my gun safe, I sent it off to some 1911 world class gunsmiths to finish her off properly. The heavyweights I used were EGW for barrel fit, slide/frame fit, action work, and beavertail fitting. The metal work was done by Chuck Rogers. It sure came out nice. I will post pics later this week.

BullzeyeNJ, yes you could say I was in the Patriot class, I started it, Thus Patriot 01 :D . I miss the Captain :( . Im working on another first. All I can say is it will be a 1911 like no other, built in a way that to my knowledge has never been done before.

Thats very cool Shane! I learned a ton about 1911's in the limited time I participated in the class. here are some pics of my Patriot 1911...

Bullseye I know its the cliche' statement but those really are some beutiful grips! Does my eye spy a SFM front site?

Hi Shane,

Thanks. The grips are by Wicked Grips. The front sight is a gold bead front sight that Chuck Rogers put on there. I dont know if its a SFM or not. I just let Chuck do his thing. Got a liking for the gold bead front sight when Jim Garthwaite built me a custom 1911.

So my 1911 build has been fired casually at the range many times. However, the IDPA match last weekend was its first time seeing ACTION :) . Im happy to report that it performed flawlessly! Despite the fact it had a round count of at least 800 rounds, closer to 1000 im sure, without a cleaning, it only got the most meager of cleanings before the match. Litteraly a brush down the bore, a quick wipedown and lube. It ran like a champ at the match. Zero malfunctions. I wish I could say the same. I had a few malfunctions :D .

Shane