Sign in to follow this  
Matt

NJ resident keeping guns in other states?

In a year or two my work situation is changing so that I will be living in NJ and working in south west Connecticut (long story). I can legally carry in CT - Does anyone know if it would be legal for me to keep a gun in a safe at work in CT? (my employer is ok with this) Or can I only keep a gun permanently at my residence in NJ? I realize this may be more of a CT law question but figured someone might know... The reason I ask is that the laws in NY dont make it easy to transport through state and it would be much easier to just keep a gun in CT and keep the rest at my resident in NJ.

if NJ is your primary residence, the question is, can you have a CT non resident CCW.

I actual have a "resident" CCW, I know it sounds weird but CT law states that if you move out of state you may keep your CCW as long as you continue to renew it

if NJ is your primary residence, the question is, can you have a CT non resident CCW.

Yes..... I have the packet and in process of filling out paperwork...... need 10 hours of training.... trying to see if I have enough to qualify....

It's going to be a pain....

Ok in that case. =)

Yeah...... I agree

I might not send it in..... Its not cheap, and I am afraid of getting turned down....

They dont accept NRA First Steps course.... and I only have 8 hours of SigSauer Academy courses under my belt. So if they go by the rules to the exact letter..... I would be screwed. I doubt I will take the chance right now....

:(

In a year or two my work situation is changing so that I will be living in NJ and working in south west Connecticut (long story). I can legally carry in CT - Does anyone know if it would be legal for me to keep a gun in a safe at work in CT? (my employer is ok with this) Or can I only keep a gun permanently at my residence in NJ? I realize this may be more of a CT law question but figured someone might know... The reason I ask is that the laws in NY dont make it easy to transport through state and it would be much easier to just keep a gun in CT and keep the rest at my resident in NJ.

If your employer has a legal dept. I would refer to them. Otherwise..... I wouldnt bother transporting it....

Ok in that case. =)

Yeah...... I agree

I might not send it in..... Its not cheap, and I am afraid of getting turned down....

They dont accept NRA First Steps course.... and I only have 8 hours of SigSauer Academy courses under my belt. So if they go by the rules to the exact letter..... I would be screwed. I doubt I will take the chance right now....

:(

I dont know about the requirements for the non-res permit but as far as the resident permit was concerned it wasn't difficult at all to meet the requirments. All i needed was the 10 hour NRA basic pistol course and as long as you are not a felon they will approve you (again, this is resident, im not sure how non-res works)

Yeah Maks, I have one - complete with my NJ address.

To the OP, as long as the gun is legal in CT, why would it matter, as long as the person storing it for you is OK with it? There is a certain amount of liability attached, but not more than if you had the gun here. IANAL

Adios,

Pizza Bob

As long as it is legal to bring a firearm into Connecticut, I don't see any problem. It's legal for us to transport firearms into "free" states; I don't see why it would be illegal to leave them secured there. I know some gun clubs have lockers where members can leave their guns.

I remember reading an interesting article about a similar phenomenon in Switzerland--a lot of British gun owners were storing their guns in Switzerland to prevent them from being confiscated.