Sign in to follow this  
Melgamatic

Recoil lug / disc

ON a Remington 700-style bolt action rifle, where, exactly, is the "recoil lug" or "recoil disc" and what is its function? :think:

TIA!

I hope you have the rifle in front of you. On a 700 I believe that they sandwich a plate between the barrel and the tubular reciever, This plate extends down into the stock distributing the force of recoil to the stock.

This the primary point of recoil force transfer, others are the tang screw and other points of securement if any.

Take a look at the rifle and tell me if I am visualizing the right one.

Why remove it? Unless you are putting in a bigger one, then I would ask why? If it is for stability, glass bed it. What Caliber?

My question exactly. You never remove that recoil plate unless you are rebarreling the rifle and that's a gunsmith's job. Is it bent? That would be strange.

Enlighten me I have no idea what a tube gun is.

I'm assuming Custom Barrel (Tube). That said I've never heard of a "Recoil Ring" unless they're just using that as another term for a standard-shaped Lug. Anyway, every one i've ever seen is sandwiched between the barrel shoulder and the face of the reciever, as staed earlier to transfer the recoil directly to the stock from the barrel instead of on the action screws. Looks almost like a 1911 barrel bushing from the front without the cutout for the plunger.