jermz1987

How do I ship a gun?

Someone wants to buy my Taurus but they live in Virgina. Can someone explain to me how I would go about shipping it. I looked on the internet but then I remembered this is New Jersey where they wait and prey for gun owners to slip up. So could someone with experience selling guns out of state give me the dummies guide to selling and shipping a firearm, and your preferred method of receiving payment. Thanks

It has to go via fedex or ups over night or 2 day.

That's pretty much it, just make sure you get a copy of the receivers FFL before shipping.

You may also have to go to a ups or fedex main location the small stores may not do it for you.

You CANNOT ship it USPS only FFL's can use USPS priority 2 day for pistols. You also cannot mark

the package in any way stating there is a firearm in it.

You can also check the status of the 01 FFL on the ATF website. As a point of information (Does not apply in your case of selling your pistol).. Type 03 C&R's can only be checked with the ATF via phone and you have to give them the name and address.

As Hodgie said, pistols via Fedex and UPS can only be shipped at the hub location. If you happen to go to Edison, the usual guy behind the counter will give you a big deal and announce to everyone that you are shipping a pistol.

If you check the price of overnight insured, it might actually be cheaper to bring it to a FFL and have them do the transfer for you and pay their fee, as they can ship it via USPS Priority. You will also not get any grief from the receiver FFL not wanting to accept it from an individual.

As an added bonus, the NJ based FFL will have it on their books god forbid the gun is ever used in a crime and Law enforcement wants to trace it.

. If you happen to go to Edison, the usual guy behind the counter will give you a big deal and announce to everyone that you are shipping a pistol.

That's good, so if it goes missing in shipping I know who to punch in the face.

Sounds like a real douche.

. If you happen to go to Edison, the usual guy behind the counter will give you a big deal and announce to everyone that you are shipping a pistol.

That's good, so if it goes missing in shipping I know who to punch in the face.

Sounds like a real douche.

He also asks what caliber, and when shipping ammo, if he hears any jingle around (sometimes they do in factory boxes) he will cut the box open to inspect it, and then poorly tape it all back up.. and hand you a marker to write "ORM-D, Cartridges Small Arms" on EVERY side of the box.. even though it is clear in the regs that it only has to be on one side (I even printed out a pretty little ORM-D label in color from the internet for the top of the box).

My normal FFL who ships lots of guns there says that guy is always a pain in the balls to deal with.