Sign in to follow this  
Pizza Bob

No Gamo Whispers in NJ

Saw this mentioned somewhere, but confirmed it myself. I went with a fellow board member to pick-up his new Sig P226 (I'll let him relate that story if he chooses to do so) and got to talking with the shop owner. Said that representatives of the NJSP Firearms Unit paid him a routine visit and took him to task (fortunately, not formally) for having a Gamo Whisper air gun in the rack. Since NJ considers airguns firearms, this would qualify as a suppressed weapon and therefore is illegal here in the PRNJ.

The shop owner contacted Gamo. They were surprised to say the least, but took the Whisper back. I contacted Gamo and said that I'd heard you couldn't buy a Whisper in NJ, and they confirmed that they will not ship any to our great state :roll:

Unbelieveable - but felt it worth saying since a lot of people just trek to PA and buy an air rifle and bring it back to avoid the whole FPID rigamarole. Just make sure that you don't bring back a Whisper.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Per Federal Law, it is not a sound suppressor. How can the NJSP say it is? It is a Federal issue. Just because the pellet rifle is classified as a firearm in New Jersey, doesn't mean anything. What am I missing?

• Like 1

Ok so if infact air guns are considered firearms in NJ then let me ask you this? I have a Crosman 1377c pistol and put a carbine stock on it. Does that mean it is in violation of the NFA? I kept the old grips and can put them back on but its alot easier to steady the shot with the Carbine Stock.

Ok so if infact air guns are considered firearms in NJ then let me ask you this? I have a Crosman 1377c pistol and put a carbine stock on it. Does that mean it is in violation of the NFA? No. It is in violation of NJS 2C:39-3b. I kept the old grips and can put them back on but its alot easier to steady the shot with the Carbine Stock.
  • Like 1

Per Federal Law, it is not a sound suppressor. How can the NJSP say it is? It is a Federal issue. Just because the pellet rifle is classified as a firearm in New Jersey, doesn't mean anything. What am I missing?

It says in the literature it's a "Noise dampener"...that's the same as a sound suppressor, is it not?

The technically advanced ND 52 technology is an integral non-removable noise dampener

Paul...if its federal than why is it legal to produce and sell the stock in the states specifically made for that pistol and then ship it to my home in NJ? Moreover i didnt even know the stock existed until I bought the gun and saw the stocks being used all over YouTube (in the states)? So is it illegal to be in possession of the stock and pistol under the same roof but separated from eachother? I already took it off and I'm about to put up for sale on Ebay?

I believe that you can possess it separately, because the "constructive possession" portion in the NJ law is directed towards "Assault Weapons". If you attach it while in NJ, it is a "sawed off shotgun".

• Like 1