rh1030

changing calibers

I've been wondering if I could change the caliber of one of my handguns? I have a sig p239 in a .40 and was interested in changing it to a .357. Do Jersey laws allows this? Also I am in the market for a 1911 and was wondering about the .22 conversion kits and if they are allowed or not?

Thank you

Perfectly legal - but dependent on the firearm whether or not it can be done. As was pointed out, with the Sig P229, P226 and P239 they can easily be changed from .40 S&W to .357 Sig (or vice versa) by virtue of a drop-in barrel change. If the firearm's barrel has to be fitted, then it would require the services of a gunsmith. Legality doesn't enter the equation because we're not changing the receiver. A serial # on the barrel may indicate (or not) that the barrel was fitted to that number receiver, but has nothing to do with legality. You can have a conversion kit (for your 1911) or barrel shipped directly to your home. HTH.

Adios,

Pizza Bob