JonF

Steel target gong for 200 yd rifle range?

I'd like to get a real 500 brinnell steel plate swinger to take with me to the rifle range and i'm trying to research the options. This is something i'll set up at the 200 yd mark at Ft Dix so i don't want a popper, just a simple swinger that i can repeatedly hit without having to reset it. I'll be using some of the typical large surplus calibers such as 54r, 8mm, x55 so it will have to hold up to repeated hits with surplus FMJ. Depending on who you talk to there, it has to either be a swinging plate or stationary so i'd rather err on the safe side and get a swinging one. I don't really see such things from the usual outlets such as midway, natches and the like and a google search only brings up results from specialty companies that deal only in this type of thing. I'd like something simple and portable in the range of 8-12" wide (circle, square, whatever) on a simple stand that isn't too bulky or complicated. Are there any not-so-expensive and simple options out there for a proper target?

Previously i had set up a piece of 1" steel or iron plate that was sitting around the garage and Strider and I went at it with a Mosin and a 30-06 and puckered the hell out of it on day. I used it a second time with a SKS and AR15 and still tore it up, even at that range. I don't reckon it will last any appreciable amount of time if i keep using it so time for the right tool here.

Something like this maybe?

http://www.actiontarget.com/spt_pt_rocker.html [Description]

http://www.shopactiontarget.com/pt-rocker.html [Official store listing]

There are other reactive targets listed there too (with remote reset), but those are pretty expensive. The PT rocker looks pretty interesting, and seems to fit what you're looking for. Relatively cheap, resets on its own, and can fit a variety of targets on top (heavy duty too, though I don't know how 'heavy duty').

Those are some expensive targets! Surely some ingenuity, a bit of gumption and a trip to Jim Fazzio's and Home Depot / Lowes will accomplish the same effect for around $30.00 or so.

chad i was thinking the same thing im going to make the main frame from heavy box tubing...... and a replacable target out of 1 or 1 1/2" steel next weekends project will post pictures

Exactly what i was thinking, Kal. For $30, you end up with a short lived, moon cratered paperweight like the one i posted above. I found that even just a simple plate of 500 brinnell steel will be expensive and thats before any sort of mount or stand.

We have them at 2 and 3 hundred yards. Normal rounds bounce off and don't crater at all. But they were high quality steel which cost over five hundred for the cutout shapes. We did have a milder steel that we didn't pay for and it lasted less than a few months.

One of the bigger problems was making a frame that didn't get shot up and was resistent to the spatter from the rounds hitting. We finally came up with a modular design which had easily replaceable parts.

I'd like to get a real 500 brinnell steel plate swinger to take with me to the rifle range

Beyond the cost, the target we have displayed at 200 yard is about three feet by one foot. seeing it can be done at 200 yards. but the thing weights a ton. It much heavier than a larger milder steel once used. then the frame has to be added. We use a Kabota tractor with a dump bucket to move and hang ours.

I went ahead and ordered a 8x8" square for $55 shipped from Wideners which should be here soon. I have stand made out of a piece of rebar bent in an upside-down "U" shape that i used for my last makeshift "gong" and can transfer it to that. With a couple bucks in hardware, a piece of 6' rebar and the gong, i have a nice target for $60 which is a far cry from the $150-300 units being sold online. Granted, my version is much more simple but that's sufficient for me as i'm not looking for a popper or other type of complex action target. Mine is just a simple hanging swinger that doesn't need any sort of reset which is a lot more useful when its 200 yards away!

Even though a quarter is made of thin, flimsy metal, would be a cheap, long-lasting target for me. I'm sure i would wear out a 500 brinell plate before i could ever hit a quarter at 200 yards.

Lessee... a quarter, a coat hanger and a piece of fishing line makes for a cheap target and stand. I think we have a NJGF official challenge! :D