Eh, I'm not lawyer, but I wouldn't want to be holding on to tracer ammunition:

NJSA 2C:58-10

2C:58-10. Incendiary or tracer ammunition

No incendiary or tracer type ammunition shall be discharged anywhere in this State except for law enforcement purposes by law enforcement officers in the course of their official duties or by members of legally recognized military organizations during the actual course of their official duties in or upon military establishments or ranges constructed or maintained for such purposes. Nonincendiary shotgun tracer ammunition may, however, be used on a trap or skeet field for target purposes. Nothing in this section shall prohibit the carrying or possession for distress signal purposes of a visual distress signalling device approved by the United States Coast Guard aboard a private or commercial aircraft or any boat.

bbk, thanks for the info. I never gave it any thought. I'm in Alabama right now and can easily sell it before I cross into the lovely Garden State. Before long, you will have to think of what you can't do in NJ before you get up in the morning!

Tracer ammo is illegal in NJ so do not bring it home. Also, all ranges ban its use due to the risk of fire. Be safe, it's not worth the risk to bring it into NJ.

Illegal to possess or discharge?

Illegal to discharge. I am about 98% sure on that.