Sign in to follow this  
GoNRA

To far right? Unconstitutional?

I don't know, I do feel this would be unconstitutional, but also feel it is necessary also with much to question on it's constitutionality...

I mean if your born here, you are considered a U.S. Citizen, but if the parent is illegal, I think it should be brought to the courts cause im not sure.

Congressman: Deport U.S.-Born Kids of Illegals

"It takes more than walking across the border to be an American citizen," Rep. Duncan Hunter said.

The Arizona Republic via AP

Apr. 23: Supporters of the illegal immigration enforcement law rallied at the state Capitol in Phoenix.

SAN DIEGO -- Rep. Duncan Hunter said he would support deporting U.S.-born children of illegal immigrants, adding that "it takes more than walking across the border to be an American citizen."

The 14th amendment to the U.S. Constitution guarantees citizenship to all persons born in the United States.

The San Diego-area Republican congressman spoke Saturday at a video recorded tea party rally in Ramona. Hunter was asked by someone in the crowd if he backed deporting natural-born American citizens who are the children of illegal immigrants.

"I would have to, yes," Hunter said.

Hunter said in the video that some of his critics believe his stance is mean-spirited.

"And we're not being mean. We're just saying it takes more than walking across the border to become an American citizen," he said. "It's what's in our souls."

Hunter's spokesman Joe Kasper said Thursday that the congressman's position is that U.S.-born children of illegal immigrants should stay with their parents unless there is a legal guardian who could take care of them.

"It was a short answer to a complex issue," Kasper said. "His terms have been very specific on this topic and it wasn't reflected in the answer."

Hunter's comments on Saturday were recorded and posted on YouTube. Kasper said the event was open to the media and reporters were there.

Hunter also supports a House bill that calls for the elimination of automatic birthright citizenship for children born to undocumented immigrants. It is unclear whether the bill would be constitutional.

Hunter supports a recently signed Arizona law, which requires local and state law enforcement to question people about their immigration status if there's reason to suspect they're in the country illegally. He called the law a "fantastic starting point."

they should stay as they are minors and not in control of their fate.. PROVIDING there are people here who are financially capable of providing care.. because the parents would HAVE to go.. and we have enough welfare cases as is..

You have to decide if you are going to go along with the Constitution or not. The 14th Amendment states:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

(Title 8 of the USC clarifies this more as "Anyone born inside the United States subject to the jurisdiction" of the US, which is really interesting because it includes children of illegal immigrants but not children of diplomats, etc.)

So, that's pretty clear. If you want to deport US citizens when their parents are deported, you need to repeal this amendment or propose a new one.

Does anyone know if we really have a big problem with pregnant illegal immigrant women coming to the US to have their children so they'll be citizens and then abandoning them here? I can imagine that some school systems in CA and the South might get hammered with lots of citizen children whose parents are illegals, but I think you solve that by solving the illegal immigration problem, not by deporting US Citizens!

I'm a pretty big believer in the Constitution, and most of my political beliefs, both the "conservative" ones and the "liberal" ones come from applying the Constitution to situations. For me, it's not "right" or "left", but rather "in the constitution" or "not in the constitution" when it comes to the most important national-level issues.

So, my "allow the Nazis to parade in the park" belief comes from the same place as my "I should be allowed to own guns" belief.

The conflicts in my belief system come from this, because while there is nothing more hateful or terrible to me than the Westborough Church / God Hates Fags people picketing a soldier's funeral, and while I have fantasies of sniping at them, and they make me nearly insanely angry with their hate, I'm also not so sure that don't I think they're legally exercising free speech. Here's a case where Constitution and terrible people seem in conflict to me.

So, I think it's pretty amazing that this elected politician thinks that his views on immigration are more correct than the Constitution, and wonder if he even understands the complexity of what he is saying. I suspect he doesn't, and it must be easy to get votes in AZ by saying wild things these days.

You have to decide if you are going to go along with the Constitution or not. The 14th Amendment states:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

The caveat we should be hanging our hat on is the "and subject to the jurisdiction thereof" which they have not been subject to. They are here illegally, period. That is not (IMO) subject to the jurisdiction.

Children of illegal aliens born in the US can stay as they are citizens and someone legally here is willing to be their guardian. Usually they go back with their parents but can later be readmitted as citizens.

"My kids are citizens" is not much of a petition but is has worked.

The caveat we should be hanging our hat on is the "and subject to the jurisdiction thereof" which they have not been subject to. They are here illegally, period. That is not (IMO) subject to the jurisdiction.

Then they don't have to follow our laws? That's what it means. It was intended for diplomats, who don't actually have to follow our laws... Illegal immigrants certainly are required to follow our laws.

Then they don't have to follow our laws? That's what it means. It was intended for diplomats, who don't actually have to follow our laws... Illegal immigrants certainly are required to follow our laws.

In your interpretation. In my interpretation, they have not followed the law, they are required to, but have not subjected themselves to our laws, they are here illegally and IMO have no rights beyond basic civil rights.