Matt

When purchasing (non HP) ammo, do you have to go right home

Matt,

Put the ammo in your trunk in the bag, go on about your business and stop wetting your pants. You can over think anything. Do you think the cops have a satellite overhead that alerts them to ammo sales? In my town you could roll all the cops into one and still not have a serviceable village idiot.

Matt,

Put the ammo in your trunk in the bag, go on about your business and stop wetting your pants. You can over think anything. Do you think the cops have a satellite overhead that alerts them to ammo sales? In my town you could roll all the cops into one and still not have a serviceable village idiot.

Just wondering about the legal way to do it, not the practical

Matt,

Just wondering about the legal way to do it, not the practical

No reason to go home after you buy ammo, the only reason I go home with the ammo is that the guns are at home.

I do not believe you need to 'go home with your ammo'...hell, if you have an FID card you can keep a shotgun cased and unloaded in your trunk at all times when you are in posession of your FID card...so why not FOLLOW THE LAW...

No, you cannot legally drive around with a box of hollow points in the trunk. I remember reading of a guy who was charged with "possession of a hollow nosed or dum dum bullet" because he had a single inert round turned into a keychain on him. If you are not engaged in the activities below, according to the law, you are guilty of a felony:

N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:

(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].

Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."

N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;

2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;

3.A person going directly to a target range, and;

4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

It's a shame the damn New Jersey gun laws have us confused and a little paranoid! I'm speaking for myself.

You have to be a lawyer to understand the laws. I bet some of the cops don't even know the law perfectly either.

No, you cannot legally drive around with a box of hollow points in the trunk. I remember reading of a guy who was charged with "possession of a hollow nosed or dum dum bullet" because he had a single inert round turned into a keychain on him. If you are not engaged in the activities below, according to the law, you are guilty of a felony:

N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:

(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].

Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."

N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;

2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;

3.A person going directly to a target range, and;

4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

The thread specifically states non hollow point ammo.