lunker

Three reasons I am looking forward to getting to the range

I sold my Rock River A4 Varmint AR and replaced it with a Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine in .308 and a Remington XR-100 in .204 Ruger. I don't love the digital camo on the Savage, but it is the only pattern on the Accustock/Accutrigger carbine. The Ruger is a single shot target model with a varmint stock and the same nice trigger as Remmy's Police line rifles. Lastly, I have had the M1 Garand for a few months now but it had been full of cosmoline (or the U.S. Army equivalent). I was hesitant to use the tried and true Mosin method of non-chlorinated brake cleaner for fear of it ruining the nice wood finish. I finally bought myself some work lights and metal duct tubes and cooked that shit out of the rifle.

As long as Mother nature doesn't have other plans, I will be shooting them all tomorrow. Yee Haw!

Wow Chris it's like Christmas at your house. The Garand looks to be in fantastic shape, and the wood grain on the XR-100 is beautiful. Have fun. By the way what scopes did you choose for the rifles?

Jimmy

Chris, looks great. I would also like to know about your glass, and a detailed review 8-)

Shane

Nice rifles.

Is the Garand from CMP?

If so what grade was it?

Yes. I got it a few months back from CMP. It is a service grade Springfield from 1943. The stock, barrel and reciever are all in very goodshape. The pictures don't really show what a nice cherry color the wood is.

I had this gun out for the first time yesterday at Fort Dix and we were hitting a 16" swinging steel plate at 200 yards without much problem. It is a really fun gun to shoot. I would recommend one for anyone who likes to shoot and has an interest in history.

Wow Chris it's like Christmas at your house. The Garand looks to be in fantastic shape, and the wood grain on the XR-100 is beautiful. Have fun. By the way what scopes did you choose for the rifles?

Jimmy

Jimmy,

I have a SWFA Super Sniper 10X42 (fixed) on the Savage Precision Carbine. I have a Nikon BuckMaster 6-18x40 (variable) on the Remington. I got it as part of the package when I bought the XR100 from a guy in California. I like both scopes, although I wouldn't mind a little more magnification on the SWFA for 200 yard and farther shooting.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical- ... -P499.aspx

http://swfa.com/Nikon-6-18x40-Buckmaste ... 42211.aspx

Hey Chris,

Just picked up A Remington 700 5R SS, and bought the same SWFA 10x scope. It just came today, so I haven't been able to mount it yet. Needed something on the cheaper end for now. I'm hoping it's good out to 300 yds. Didn't want to spend too much as I am hoping to get reloading equipment before the wife uses one of my weapons on me when she sees the Amex bill. By the way love the Garrand. Did you make the steel plate target?

Thanks,

Jimmy

Hey Chris,

Just picked up A Remington 700 5R SS, and bought the same SWFA 10x scope. It just came today, so I haven't been able to mount it yet. Needed something on the cheaper end for now. I'm hoping it's good out to 300 yds. Didn't want to spend too much as I am hoping to get reloading equipment before the wife uses one of my weapons on me when she sees the Amex bill. By the way love the Garrand. Did you make the steel plate target?

Thanks,

Jimmy

Hey Jimmy,

That's funny. I was really looking at the Remington 5R. Maybe one day. I think you're going to like the SWFA scope. Sometimes I wish I got the 20X one though, or at least the 16X. The steel target was easy at 200 yards with the Garand. The big problem was that we destroyed my mounting cables after a few direct hits. My new setup is a bit more robust, with twice the cabling holding it up. Hopefully the new one fares better. We should head out to Dix or CJRPC some time soon.

Hey Chris,

Thanks,

Jimmy

Hey Jimmy,

That's funny. I was really looking at the Remington 5R. Maybe one day. I think you're going to like the SWFA scope. Sometimes I wish I got the 20X one though, or at least the 16X. The steel target was easy at 200 yards with the Garand. The big problem was that we destroyed my mounting cables after a few direct hits. My new setup is a bit more robust, with twice the cabling holding it up. Hopefully the new one fares better. We should head out to Dix or CJRPC some time soon.

Chris,

Anytime you want to head to CJ let me know. I would also love to check out Dix. I can go most weekends, and if you want to shoot pistol CJ 's indoor is open 24 hrs. I can take 2 guests to CJ if you know someone else interested. I have never seen it crowded or had to wait but I usually like going earlier (09:00) or so.

Jimmy

I have been eyeballing the Savage Precision Carbine for a while and am thinking about getting one real soon. Please give a full range report when the time comes :p

Also, how did you mount the scope on it?

Last time at Dix was my first time with the Savage, so I can't give much of a review just yet. I was mostly just getting it sighted in. I was putting everything in the bullseye at 200 yards. Unfortunately though, I forgot my bipod and front rest, so I was shooting off my shooting bag.

I used a 20MOA EGW heavy duty mounting rail. At the distances I will be shooting, I probably could've gone with 0 MOA.

http://swfa.com/EGW-HD-Picatinny-Rail-1 ... 45929.aspx

I used the medium height EGW rings (I would've gone for low, but I wasn't sure that a 42 objective lens would clear the barrel with the short rings).

http://swfa.com/EGW-Tactical-Aluminum-3 ... 46256.aspx

I have been happy with both. I used them on my Rock River AR (before i sold it), and now on my Savage. They are rock solid.

I have been eyeballing the Savage Precision Carbine for a while and am thinking about getting one real soon. Please give a full range report when the time comes :p

Also, how did you mount the scope on it?

Last time at Dix was my first time with the Savage, so I can't give much of a review just yet. I was mostly just getting it sighted in. I was putting everything in the bullseye at 200 yards. Unfortunately though, I forgot my bipod and front rest, so I was shooting off my shooting bag.

I used a 20MOA EGW heavy duty mounting rail. At the distances I will be shooting, I probably could've gone with 0 MOA.

http://swfa.com/EGW-HD-Picatinny-Rail-1 ... 45929.aspx

I used the medium height EGW rings (I would've gone for low, but I wasn't sure that a 42 objective lens would clear the barrel with the short rings).

http://swfa.com/EGW-Tactical-Aluminum-3 ... 46256.aspx

I have been happy with both. I used them on my Rock River AR (before i sold it), and now on my Savage. They are rock solid.

Thanks for the reply, I am currently trying to decide between the Precision Carbine and the FCP-K.