What do I do to be able to bring my current extensive collection? Good news is that I am leaving a very anti-GUN state. Bad news is I am moving to another one but not as bad I guess. But in a nut shell what can I not have or bring with me? I have several M1 carbines and an SKS with an attached mag. I have lots of hand guns.

What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance

What do I do to be able to bring my current extensive collection? Good news is that I am leaving a very anti-GUN state. Bad news is I am moving to another one but not as bad I guess. But in a nut shell what can I not have or bring with me? I have several M1 carbines and an SKS with an attached mag. I have lots of hand guns.

What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance

I take it you are moving from Commiefornia?

Well, at least cannot be as bad.

ok ok, will be the first to say... dont move here. =) jk

First thing you have to know, in NJ, we have a local banned list per say of firearms and features.

so the M1 carbine is a no no. m1 garand is ok.

Rifles must have magazines of 15 rounds or less, handguns the same.

Your best bet, post, or pm one of us a list of your firearms, and we can tell you what is legal or not.

otherwise, generally speaking...

1. No flash suppressors, muzzle breaks are ok.

2. no folding or telescoping stocks.

3. NJ has no preban/post ban... it is either nj legal or not.

Also...

nothing that says AR or AK on it.

AR-15 on lower = no no. XM-15, M&P 15, etc. are ok.

AK is a no no, tantal, vepr, saiga is ok.

But once again, no more than 15 round mags, no flash suppressors, folding/collapsible stocks.

here you go...

What firearms are illegal in NJ?

1. 'Assault Firearms'

(a) Specific List

(1) Algimec AGM1 type

(2) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder such as the "Street Sweeper" or "Striker 12"

(3) Armalite AR-180 type

(4) Australian Automatic Arms SAR

(5) Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms

(6) Beretta AR-70 and BM59 semi-automatic firearms

(7) Bushmaster Assault Rifle

(8) Calico M-900 Assault carbine and M-900

(9) CETME G3

(10) Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88 type

(11) Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series

(12) Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1 and Max 2, AR 100 types

(13) Demro TAC-1 carbine type

(14) Encom MP-9 and MP-45 carbine types

(15) FAMAS MAS223 types

(16) FN-FAL, FN-LAR, or FN-FNC type semi-automatic firearms

(17) Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12 shotguns

(18) G3SA type

(19) Galil type Heckler and Koch HK91, HK93, HK94, MP5, PSG-1

(20) Intratec TEC 9 and 22 semi-automatic firearms

(21) M1 carbine type

(22) M14S type

(23) MAC 10, MAC 11, MAC 11-9mm carbine type firearms

(24) PJK M-68 carbine type

(25) Plainfield Machine Company Carbine

(26) Ruger K-Mini-14/5F and Mini-14/5RF

(27) SIG AMT, SIG 550SP, SIG 551SP, SIG PE-57 types

(28) SKS with detachable magazine type

(29) Spectre Auto carbine type

(30) Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48 type

(31) Sterling MK-6, MK-7 and SAR types

(32) Steyr A.U.G. semi-automatic firearms

(33) USAS 12 semi-automatic type shotgun

(34) Uzi type semi-automatic firearms

(35) Valmet M62, M71S, M76, or M78 type semi-automatic firearms

(36) Weaver Arm Nighthawk

(b) Any firearm manufactured under any designation which is substantially identical to any of the firearms listed above

© A semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a pistol grip, or a folding stock

(d) A semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds

(e) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault firearm, or any combination of parts from which an assault firearm may be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person

2. Sawed-off Shotgun

(a) any shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length measured from the breech to the muzzle

(b) any rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length measured from the breech to the muzzle

© any firearm altered from a rifle or a shotgun having an overall length of less than 26 inches

3. Defaced Firearms

(a) removed, altered or covered:

(1) manufacturer name

(2) model number

(3) serial number

Yeah, I have a Colt SP-1 Preban that I couldnt bring to California. I was hopping I would be able to join up with my old buddy again but not this time it seams. What about licensing? What will I need? Are there any forms or dislosures or what your state calls permits for the hand guns I own? Also what if I am denied a ID card? From what I am reading they are not growing on trees. I have no issues in my past other than shoplifting one time when I was like 10 for some baseball cards and traffic tickets and such. lol, does my credit score need to be above 900?

You do not need anything, and there is no gun registration for the stuff you bring into the state from your move.

HOWEVER, you need a Firearms ID card, to purchase ammunition from instate dealers as well as longuns, and also need pistol permits to purchase pistols.

It is not all that bad.

Read up the rest of the links, ALL of your questions have been answered here before.

:text-search:

You do not need anything, and there is no gun registration for the stuff you bring into the state from your move.

If he brings the banned stuff here he doesn't have to register it but he won't be able to use it. What's gonna happen if he gets pulled over with banned stuff in the car? or when he gets to the range and there's a dedicated LEO at the next port over that hears or sees the "banned" firearms? I always wondered about those that move from the free states (PA,TX, Etc.) to our state. :)

Yeah, I have a Colt SP-1 Preban that I couldnt bring to California. I was hopping I would be able to join up with my old buddy again but not this time it seams. What about licensing? What will I need? Are there any forms or dislosures or what your state calls permits for the hand guns I own? Also what if I am denied a ID card? From what I am reading they are not growing on trees. I have no issues in my past other than shoplifting one time when I was like 10 for some baseball cards and traffic tickets and such. lol, does my credit score need to be above 900?

Just to add to what Maks said.

If your guns are legal in NJ, there is no paperwork that you are required to fill out at all. They are 100% legal if purchased legally while a resident of a different state.

You should apply for your Firearms Purchaser ID(FPID) as soon as you believe you are in your permanent location. I say this because your driver license and FPID must have matching addresses for purchases and the process for changing an address often takes as long as getting the FPID initially. The FPID will take anywhere from 30 days to 6 months to get, depending on how anti-gun your town is but the average is about 60 days. As a transplant from a different state having purchased the firearms there, you will be legally within your rights to have firearms in your home, at the range, at a gunsmith, at a business you own and hunting. That said, there are law enforcement that treat the Firearms PURCHASER Id as a firearms OWNERSHIP ID, meaning they charge you with the crime of having a gun without having first obtaining a firearms purchaser ID. These cases eventually get dropped if the person purchased the firearms legally in a different state, but the cops would have simply let you go if you had had your Purchaser ID on you during the interaction with the police(assuming no laws were broken). It's just a good idea to get one.

Do not register your guns. This is a voluntary and quite foolish to do in NJ.

If he brings the banned stuff here he doesn't have to register it but he won't be able to use it. What's gonna happen if he gets pulled over with banned stuff in the car? or when he gets to the range and there's a dedicated LEO at the next port over that hears or sees the "banned" firearms? I always wondered about those that move from the free states (PA,TX, Etc.) to our state. :)

He should sell these guns before he comes to NJ or leave them in the hands of someone he trusts outside of NJ. If they arrive in NJ with him, he becomes a felon when he is caught and will lose his 2A rights permanently.

I never once said he can bring in stuff that is banned by named.

Anything that is NJ legal, he can bring in, he does not need paperwork. It would be prudent to still have an original bill of sale showing he purchased them and where. HOWEVER, there is no gun registration in NJ, and you need FID to purchase stuff, not to keep what you have now.

If you really want to keep your toys, I suggest moving to pennsylvania, just across the border from NJ and just commute. You'll probably be happier. You'll be able to apply for a CCW too (even though it won't be valid in Jersey).