n4p226r

revolver guys. can someone please explain the hillary lock

title pretty much says it all. say one really wanted to get a .357 S&W revolver. but didnt want the lock. would i have to go used? if so, what models would i need to look at. i know nothing at all about revolvers and how the model numbers go.

The last thing you probably want is to buy a new gun and have to bring it to a gunsmith, but the lock can be disabled by a gunsmith or a person familiar with the inner workings of a revolver. I have one of the locks on my Taurus, I have decided to leave it alone but if it starts giving me trouble I'll get it disabled.

Smith and Wesson was owned by a British company back in the Clinton years. There were all kinds of liability class action lawsuit threats against the firearms industry being thrown by the government and the British owners caved in to their pressure and agreed to put locks on all their guns in order to be exempted from possible litigation. The owners decided to keep the lock even after the lawsuit threat had ended. A lot of people don't forgive them for giving in to the Clinton Administration. Other critics have a more practical reason. The locks on their revolvers are poorly designed (i.e. the safety "flag" is in a direct line with the recoil of the gun, causing inadvertant partial activation) and will, on RARE occasion, prevent the gun from working. This is more prominent on lightweight revolvers (i.e. the scandium and airweight models) in heavy recoiling calibers like .357 and up. I had it personally happen in a Model 629 44Magnum (a very heavy gun in a big caliber), so it can happen on any of them. The gun locked up and became unusable until someone unjammed the lock. For a range toy, this is just an inconvenience. For a self-defence weapon, it is taking a big chance with your life.

Don't think that just S&W has these locks on their guns. In semi-autos, many manufacturers do (HK, Springfield, etc). The same is true for revolvers (i.e. Ruger single-action revolvers and all Taurus). The big difference is that the other designs are better (Ruger's is in the grip frame, Taurus is in the hammer), and there aren't reports of their failure.

If you are just buying something for the range, I wouldn't let the lock deter you. My suggestion though would be to look at used S&W revolvers. I believe that the older they are, the better made they are. In order to get the same quality in a new S&W, you need to buy a more expensive Pro Series or Performance Center shop gun. Don't take my word for it though. Go to the forum where all things S&W are discussed and read up on them.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php

I personally think Model 27, Model 28, and the pre-lock versions of the 586/686 are the finest and most durable 357 revolvers ever made.

If you really want a new revolver, my personal recommendation would be to look at the Ruger lineup.

Oh, and S&W does have one revolver without a lock. It is the so-called Lemon Squeezer gun in 38 special that has a 1911-style grip safety on the spine of the grip frame.

I don't have any illusions about other companies. I'm sure they would screw over the civilian sales market to keep government contracts lined up, because that is their bread and butter. One company that has not towed the government line is Beretta. They told the government to piss off at the same time S&W bent over for them. I give them props for that and like to support them for their pro-2nd Amendment stance. Besides that, every Beretta I have ever owned (Storm, Cougar, M9) has been an extremely well-made, if a bit expensive, gun.

Actually Smith introduced 3 lock free guns in the latest catalog. Under each picture are the word lock free. They are all j frame hammerless models.

Cool. I looked at the new catalog, but never thought to search for that. I hope sales of the lock-free guns go through the roof and S&W finally gets the big picture.

I don't have any illusions about other companies. I'm sure they would screw over the civilian sales market to keep government contracts lined up, because that is their bread and butter. One company that has not towed the government line is Beretta. They told the government to piss off at the same time S&W bent over for them. I give them props for that and like to support them for their pro-2nd Amendment stance. Besides that, every Beretta I have ever owned (Storm, Cougar, M9) has been an extremely well-made, if a bit expensive, gun.

When the hillary hole was introduced, wasn't S&W kind of in the dumper, and Safe-T-Lock corporation (a company that made an internal gun lock) bought them, and put their product into the guns? Seems like there is more to it than just "Bend over for the government and screw the customer back"

When the hillary hole was introduced, wasn't S&W kind of in the dumper, and Safe-T-Lock corporation (a company that made an internal gun lock) bought them, and put their product into the guns? Seems like there is more to it than just "Bend over for the government and screw the customer back"

What the hell is a hilary hole? Is there any scent to it??