Sign in to follow this  
karcirate

Getting FID (and PP) in less time

Here is what I want to do, and would like your thoughts:

I applied for my FID, but was informed, both by the paperwork from my city and in person by the detective who processed the app, that it would likely take at least 5 months to complete.

After I am fingerprinted, I will contact the state police, and see if I can find out when their part of the background check is completed. Alternatively, I can ask my PD when this is done. I will also make sure my 2 references return their forms immediately.

Once these two items are completed, the rest of the process is completely up to my city's PD. At that point, I will call the detective and ask him why it will take any longer than an additional 30 days from day X (when they have the info from SP and refs). If I don't receive a satisfactory response, I will write a letter to the chief of police, asking him why the PD is not following state statute with regards to timelines. I will quote the NJ Supreme Court case regarding the circumstances under which a PD can claim the hold-up was out of their control, but explain that in this case, they have everything they need already, so the ruling does not apply. I may include the point that if I do not get a satisfactory response, I will be asking the NJ Attorney General the same question.

The reason I think I may be able to get somewhere with this is because they aren't just some PD pushing me off, saying soon it will be done, or some such thing. They actually told me up front in writing and in person that it will take five times the allowed time.

What do you think my chances are of: getting nowhere with anyone I listed above; getting it done quickly; being blacklisted by my PD and screwed for life?

Thanks.

It's not worth my $$$ to get this done in what will probably end up 1 month earlier (if at all) than I would have with no help.

And why would the courts not support the case? It can't be any more clear that their "policy" violates the statue.

Plus... I am going to law school next year. (Don't know why that would change anything, but it's cool anyway.)

They probably gave you that time frame to cover their butts just in case it takes a while. It should be quicker than that. Just sit and relax. You've been waiting all this time to get one, what's another few months. You could still shoot every other tuesdays. :) Just my opinion...

I think thats the best bet. Put in your app, wait 30 days from when you know they have all the paperwork, then call and inquire. Be friendly and just ask whats the status. They will say, "x". Wait a week and call back, etc. If you are friendly but nagging you'll probably get bumped to the top of the list.

That would work better if they hadn't already told me not to call until 5 months have passed...

Side question: do you know if it is even possible to find out from the SP (or FBI for that matter) if they have responded to my PD? Or would I have to rely on my PD telling me when they got the info?

I think thats the best bet. Put in your app, wait 30 days from when you know they have all the paperwork, then call and inquire. Be friendly and just ask whats the status. They will say, "x". Wait a week and call back, etc. If you are friendly but nagging you'll probably get bumped to the top of the list.

Being friendly helps. I often will call and say I want to make sure that I've submitted everything properly and that the officer isn't waiting for anything that I can help with. I usually get it within a few weeks after a few "friendly" phone calls.

I'm pretty sure if I started off with threats I'd still be waiting for my 2009 permits.