Bob D

Hi Capacity Mag Travel Question

I have a friend who lives in the "Free" State of Pennsylvania.

He'll be transporting some 30 Rd Mags, traveling to the Southern States, but cutting

through NJ to get there.

I informed him that if he gets caught with these Mags in Jersey, he will have a problem.

He replied that he is a resident of a state that considers these mags legal, and NJ has no

authority over him as he is just passing through.

Can anyone tell me if he correct?

Bob D.

He'll be transporting some 30 Rd Mags, traveling to the Southern States, but cutting

through NJ to get there.

I informed him that if he gets caught with these Mags in Jersey, he will have a problem.

He replied that he is a resident of a state that considers these mags legal, and NJ has no

Bob D.

he is wrong imo...

through NJ to get there.

Bob D.

As long as he is traveling from a State where he legally owns the firearms and accessories to an endpoint state of the journey where the same is true he is correct.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver

Lol....how exactly is NJ on the way from anywhere in PA through to a southern state? HAHAH! He's gotta be visiting something in NJ on the way.

Pa Turnpike to NJ Turnpike, then 95 south through Delaware

Why doesn`t he just take 95 South to Phila and on to Delaware and save himself 12$ of tolls (and possibly 10K worth of lawyer fees).....

this..

The statute quoted is from the Federal Peaceable Journey law. I'm bothered by the fact that it only stipulates "firearm", says nothing about accessories or removable component parts. Possession, alone, of hi-cap (>15 rds) mags is a violation and I'm not sure he'd be covered. PK90 may want to chime in here, he's pretty sharp on things like this. Paul?

Adios,

Pizza Bob